Chapter 20

Merry Christmas everyone!!

I know I said I would update Christmas eve but the only thing better than Christmas eve is Christmas!!🎄🎄

I hope you like it and don't forget to vote and comment.

I had finished work early and I had no idea what to do.

Ted was busy reviewing a write-up so I couldn’t disturb him.

A knock on the door caused me to raise my head up to see Mrs Bright, my boss.

I met her two years ago before I graduated from the University.

She had been the one who brought me out of the black hole I managed to throw myself in after Tony broke up with me.

I was a total mess and heaven knows I would have failed my finals if it wasn’t for her and lucky for me after graduation, I got a job offer from her and since it wasn’t from my father’s connections, I gladly took it.

Stella Bright owned one of the best publishing firms in the country and after two years of working with her, she was a friend and a big sister. She and her husband were wonderful people but I hadn’t seen her in a while because she was checking the other firms around the country.

“Hey Mrs Bright!” I greeted her cheerily.

“How many times have I told you that it’s just Stella.” She gave a fake scowl.

“Sorry Stella.” I said getting up to hug her. “How was your trip?”

“Interesting. We’re opening our headquarters over there and I’m going to be there.”

“Like permanently?”

“Something like that. I’ve always wanted to live over there.” She said smiling.

“That’s great but who’s gonna be here?” I asked giving her a confused stare.

“That’s why I’m here.” She said suddenly getting serious as she moved to sit down.

“Is everything okay?”

“Everything is fine. I just wanted to ask if you would like to be the head of the firm.” She said like it was the most random thing on the planet.

“What do you mean?”

“How would you like to take over for me? You know, oversee things and all.” She said with a small smile.

“For how long?”

“Till you decide to retire I guess. Like I said, I’m moving over there so I’ll just be coming here once in a while.”

“So you want me to oversee everything? Like be the boss.” I asked in surprise.

“Yup. Pretty much.”

“Sure but why me?” I asked giving her a confused look

“You’re my favorite.” She said with a wink, “Plus you’re mostly in charge when I’m not around and you know this company more than anyone. I seriously can’t think of a better person for the job and you were supposed to get a promotion anyway. So what do you say?”

“Um–I don’t know of I can handle it.” I said nervously.

“Oh come on! I’m giving you a free opportunity. It’s the easiest and laziest job ever. You get to come to work anytime you like and you can even work from home. All you have to do is to make sure they’re publishing reasonable articles and of you like, you can review them yourself. It’s no stress at all. Just make sure those lazy asses work for their salary and you’re good.” She said with a broad smile that I couldn’t help but return.