Proud Son

Peter's P.O.V.

I step onto the stage and to the podium and get ready to start speaking. My heart beats unbearably fast but I take out the paper and start reading.

I say my title and theres a quiet applause. Then a pause, waiting for me to start

"My teacher assigned us a word for everyone to write about. I got love. At first I was upset. What do I know about love? I've never had a long lasting, serious relationship with someone who I thought I actually loved," Until now I think,
"I didn't want to write about how I loved my parents or how I love ice-cream. I thought hard about this for the whole day. It wasn't till I visibly saw love between two people that I realized who I wanted to write about.

"My dads are the best. They're cute together. Funny. Sometimes super annoying. But they really love eachother. I see them everyday and they show me that it's not always the big stuff that means you love them.

"My dad, Tony, isn't the best chef. He can barely make an omlette. But he's tried over and over again for his husband, Stephen. Their first anniversary he tried, and his second, third and fourth. By then they decided that he would no longer try to cook.

"I noticed how they would talk to eachother. Sometimes they'd whisper cute, small stuff to eachother. They'd joke around and call eachother names in a way that, when growing up, I had to stop them because I told them that was bullying."

Everyone chuckles.

"Of course, they cleared that up to me that it was okay because they love eachother. Yes, they would fight too. Nothing big though but there were times it scared me. I knew not every married couple stayed married. When I first confronted them I told them I hated it when they fought and I didn't want to see them split up. They gave me the same answer as when I confronted them about the so called "bullying"; it was okay, because they love eachother.

"Now, Tony -it's kinda weird calling them by their firsy names- is shorter than Stephen. By, like, half a head. Stephen would go up to him and hug him behind and just rest his head, on top of Dad's. Or sometimes dad, Tony, would just lay or sit on Dr. Dad's lap. And yes, that is what I call Stephen.
It's just these small gestures that can make the simplist things, the most extaordinary.

"My dads love eachother. Very much. And their love has shown me: it doesn't matter what gender you are, what color your skin is, your hight, the way you talk, if your a genius or if you don't even have the times table memorized, how long or short your hair is, or the color of it. It doesn't matter if you live across the world or across the street, if you're skinny or thicc(typo? I think not). It doesn't matter if you're a sorcerer or a mechanic, if you use machines to fly or a cloak, if you can cook or if your not even allowed in the kitchen, if you talk to a sentient being that drapes on your shoulders or an a.i. named F.R.I.D.A.Y."

I take a breath.

"My point is, you can love whomever you want. There is just one question that everyone should ask themselves to help them find the right one: do they love me too?"

I say thank you into the mic and step back. The room explodes with applause. I hesitantly bow, not sure if I should have or not. I walk of the stage and out into the halls where I wait.

"Oh my goodness, Petey!" A familiar voice says.

I turn and see Wade. I give him a smile as we share a hug.

"That was incredible Baby Boy!" He says.

I blush without meaning to, "Wade... Not here."

"Aww, c'mon. You gave that speech about being able to love whoever you want, you practically came out to the whole school." He laughs.

"Oh gosh," I flush, "You're right."

We hang out a bit in the halls, laughing and messing around until he has to go.

"Peter!" I hear another voice call.

Without turning around I emidiatly recognice it as my dads.

"Thank you guys so much for coming. It meant a lot to me." I say as I hug them.

"We wouldn't miss it for the world." Dr. Dad smiles.

"Yeah, it was so beautiful and powerful. I think you deserve an ice-cream." Dad says.

"Thank you, but I'm not six." I say, "I want to go to Baskin Robins, last one to the car pays." I start running.

If you must know, I lost and had to pay. I was fine with it, even though they both cheated. I love them, they're my parents. I'd pay for all of us to get ice-cream anytime they won. But next time, they can't cheat, or I won't buy it for them. It's only fair.

>·<

Hola lovelies!
I just want to say thank you to all the wonderful comments <3. I was going to answer a bunch of them but I got anxiety because I want to write the perfect things for you guys including when I'm directly talking to you or someone else. So I think I'm going to try better because I'm sure in the long run it'll help me.

Also, Happy Easter! And if you don't celebrate it, Happy Whatever Day It Is Where You Live  Because Time Zones And Stuff!
Thank you for reading, much love!