Chapter 24

"Are you almost ready?" I hear my mom yell from downstairs.

I look down at my blue dress, the one I also wore to the party with Aidan. In just a bit, my family and I are heading to a family party.

It's a gorgeous dress so it was easily decided that I would wear this one. A bit more mascara, one last look in the mirror and I find myself ready to go.

"Should we tell everyone in the family that I'm going to Toronto?" I ask my mom who's giving me thumbs up for my outfit.

"That's up to you." She says.

My younger brother comes happily in the hallway, also ready for the party. 'I'm ready.' He says.

The party is more like a gathering. My family just wants to see each other and talk. We don't have to have reasons, like birthdays or engagements, to organize them.

But for this one, we do have a real reason for once. Our family who moved to another country years ago, came back here. Everyone is happy because of their return but I don't know how I feel about it.

Ever since they left, they just cut us out of their lives. No calls, no texts. They probably don't even know how I look anymore.

We didn't have to drive long since our whole family lives close to each other, normally. The family members who are returning are an exception. I spend the short ride to my aunt's house curled up on my seat, trying to come up with the best way how I should tell them that I will be leaving soon. But I just decide to tell them. Nothing special.

•••

My cousin squeals excitedly when I walk in. I send her a smile and quickly greet everyone at the party, so I can head to her immediately after.

"You're here!" My cousin's arms go around me and embrace me. I return her hug immediately.

'Why wouldn't I be? I wouldn't want to leave my cousins alone." I chuckle, enjoying her presence.

I had missed her. Other times I'd see her regularly, but the last time I had a lot of work for school or i'd be talking to Aidan.

This will only change even more when I leave for Toronto to record season 2 of the umbrella academy.

'Any other details to tell me about Aidan and you?' She asks, her mischievous expression cannot be missed.

I chuckle as a response. It's her, what did I expect? 'I have something that you must hear..' I start and her eyes light up immediately.

Just as I was about to continue, we hear 'They're here!' Coming from everywhere. They were here.

Our family that moved away and never contacted any of us is here again. I don't know why our family is happy with their return. I never need to see them again. Not after they just left us like that.

My uncle and aunt walk in. Both of them have changed a lot in their faces. They aged well and their physical differences since the last time I saw them are very clear.

Behind them, is a girl standing. She looks very different than just a few years ago but I recognize her immediately. I'm happy that she's back and somewhere deep down I'm still hoping it's her old self. But after all those years, I don't think that that is possible. She has blonde hair, which comes to her shoulders. She looks around, and when she spots her grandma a smile pops onto her face.

Everyone greets them and talks a bit with them. I kept my eye on them, listened to them and still hoped they were still their older versions.

After a while of talking with the rest of the family, our "lost" cousin's eyes fall upon my other cousin and me. Her smile didn't exactly disappear but she stopped smiling as wide as she was smiling before.