68 | storage

[68 | Storage]

I walk out into Billie's kitchen, tying up my bed hair in a bun. "morning," she smiles as I take a seat across from her.

"Hey," I take a bite out of an apple, rubbing my eye.

"I haven't got any plans today, anything you need to do?" she puts her phone down by her plate.

"um, yeah, I need to go down to this storage place, I keep my finished art there, I need to take out a couple of pieces and give them to my manager so she can pitch them to a gallery," I sip my coffee.

"can I come, I don't have to but -" I cut her off.

"I would love you too," she smiles at me.

*time skip*

we jump in the uber, "so how did this all happen?" Billie asks me

"what?"

"Art, living in La, all of it," she says.

"Well, when I was younger I always wanted to be a doctor, but when I was 14 I realised that I didn't want to be a doctor, my parents wanted to be a doctor," I take a breath, "I loved art, with all my heart but I had always only viewed it as a hobby, but then one day, in high school, I realised that I wasn't doing anything but wasting my time, so I dropped out. Then I told my mum I wanted to move to La and do art, she didn't stop me, but it was all on me and if I left, I couldn't go back. I came to LA with nothing, I was broke, but I had a couple of canvases and paint. I was painting in central park one day when Nina, my manager saw me and basically took me under her wing, I lived with her for a year, and worked three jobs. when I was seventeen I bought the apartment and did more art, Nina became my manager. then I met Lila, she was working where I used to, she was in almost the exact same situation I was in a few years ago, so I told her she could live with me, and that's that." I shrug, not thinking much of it.

"Wow, that's crazy," Billie said.

we arrived at the storage place and walked into the reception area. "Oh shit," I say looking through my bag. "I forgot my key," I laugh bringing my hand to my forehead.

"Do they have spare ones?" She asks

"Yeah, but it's in Nina's name, they won't give me the spare key,"

"I wasn't talking about asking for it,"

I sarcastically gasp "Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell are you seriously suggesting we steal the spare key," I raise my eyebrows, not hating the idea.

"Live a little, and I don't mean steal it, just borrow it," she smirks and I do the same.

"So, how do you suggest we go about this," I raise an eyebrow.

"Well if I distract the lady at reception, you grab the key," she points so a cabinet were the spare keys are held.

Billie walked over to the desk, the old lady walked out and greeted her "how may I help?" She pushes her glasses back up the bridge of her nose.

"Erh yes, I was wondering about one of these storage ummm thingys, could you show me how big they are?" Billie said stumbling on her words.

"Sure, follow me," she said, Billie giving me a wink as they turned the corner.

Once they were gone  for a few seconds I slid over the counter and walked into the little office area.

I opened the cabinet and scanned my eyes across the keys "shit," I whisper realising that there were way more keys than I had thought.

"2356, 2356,2358,"  I kept going along trying to find my key.

I heard the old lady's voice and I began to panic when finally I found my key "yes," I grabbed it and ran out of the office sliding beck across the counter, the lady and Billie walking back around the corner just as my feet hit the floor, I let out a breath.

"You done?" I smiled, discreetly tucking the key into the back pocket of my jeans.

"Yep," Billie smiles, giving the old lady a nod and walking over to me.

We walked up the stairs and giggled like little kids. "Oh my god," I said laughing as Billie did the same.

We walked down the corridor and got to my storage locker. I grabbed the key and slid it into the lock, pulling up the door revealing my art work from over the last few years.

We both walked in and began looking at pieces. "I need 6, 3 completely different ones, and a pair to go with each," I said. We then sat in comfortable silence, looking through pieces.

"These are amazing," Billie said.

"I dunno, I never feel satisfied with them, they always feel incomplete," I say picking out a couple canvases.

"I love this one," she pulls out a canvas, it's a girl's body floating in water, flowers surrounding her, koi fish swim around her, and lili pads too.

"It was meant to be about returning to nature, about how everything comes back to death," I give it a weak smile.

"This one should come," she sets it aside continuing her looking

A/n

Only 2 more to go :(