Chapter 10

*Tom's p.o.v.*

After leaving the trash bag in the garbage room, I pulled out my phone from my pocket. Then, I quickly texted her a short message.

Tom: Hey, what's up?

10 seconds later, I see her icon light up in green, she's online. But she doesn't read my message.

I wait 10 minutes later, and she still hasn't replied to me. I have a feeling she's ignoring me. She must be busy or upset with me.

Char typically texts me back in 5 minutes. Always. Not that we chat all the time. So I decided to spam her till she talks. I want her to be ok.

Tom: Yo! Why r u not replying?

Tom: U ignoring me?

Tom: Char!

Tom: CHAR!!!

Tom: CHARLOTTE!!!!!

She still hasn't replied and she's online.

Fine. I'll call her then. The phone rang twice before she picked it up.

"What do you want, Thomas?" was the first thing she said.

Well, now I can confirm that she's upset. And since she's using my real name and not my nickname, she's definitely upset with me.

I walked to the lift to go up to the 5th floor, where the facilities are, as I said, "nothing. I just wanna talk to you. You left so quickly earlier."

*silence*

I can't tell what she's thinking. I don't want her to ignore me.

"Char, talk to me. I know you are upset." The lift dings as I reach the 5th floor. I continue to walk and lean on the balustrade that overlooks the houses surrounding the streets below, the guardhouse and the garbage room right in the corner. The night air feels cool against my skin. Luckily I had worn a thin jacket before leaving the house as I usually go for walks after throwing the trash.

"I don't want to talk right now. Especially not you, you jerk."

"No, please I- just, just tell me. Come on. Talk to me. I'm your friend-" I started to persuade her but got cut off by her.

"I saw you."

Finally, she yields. I grin, alright I'm making progress here. "Saw me what?"

"I saw you with her. All, oooh, Sammmy, I don't like it when you do that~."

I frown, that's what she's mad about? Me and Sammy? But why is she being so mad? Sure, she's seen me flirting with other girls before but she has never been upset about it before.

Wait. Don't tell me she's-. She's jealous?

No. I have to see her to clear this misunderstanding. Right now, I need to see her face when I explain or I won't know what she's thinking.

"Char, it's not what you think it is. Can I see you? Right now? Are you free?"

"I'm never free, Tom. I'm priceless. And whatever, I don't care anymore."

Really? This joke? Even upset, she's cracking jokes.

"Please, Char. I want to see you.", I said then there's silence on the other end for a while.

Thankfully, she replied, "*sigh*, when?" 

"Can we meet up, now?", I decided that the sooner this is over with the better. Besides, I get to see her face to face after dark, alone.

"Gee, eager are you." "Where?"

I grinned, "5th floor, basketball court. I'll be waiting."

Then, I hung up. I smirk, now she can't object to the choice of location.

***

*Char's p.o.v.*

Son-of-a!!!! He dares hang up on me. Argh. I'm so tired and I am reluctant to change out of my comfy pyjamas to go meet him right now.

And he wants to meet at the basketball court? Where we first saw each other after the few months of graduation? He must have some hidden agenda and considering the tease he pulled earlier, I have no doubt about it.

I will have to be careful around him. I mean, I agreed to meet a guy after dark, alone, in a deserted place. My apartment is a safe place well-lit all around but there are some dark corners that anything or anyone might be lurking. Like a pervert or some snake. I'm sure no one's going to be around if something bad really happens to me.

Yea, I'm definitely tired enough to be thinking these thoughts. Snakes really? In this part of the city? Unlikely.

It's not like I don't trust him with my safety. It's just, it's dark and anything could happen to me on the way there to meet him.

Ok, now I'm overthinking things. I have to hurry up and go or I'll chicken out and ditch him. Hmm, let him wait only for me not to turn up? That would be awful, won't it? MUAHAHAHA.

Nah, I should go. A small part of me wants to give him a chance to explain. Besides, there's a possibility that I could've jumped to a conclusion way too soon earlier. Oh no, it couldn't be, right? 

But why should I care about whatever he was doing? He's just some friend from secondary school that I no longer really hang out with. Just some old crush that the old timid Charlotte liked.