Chapter 11

*Char's p.o.v.*

Just as I stepped out of my room, I saw my mom at the front door with the trash bag at her feet.

"Oh, mom. I'll throw it out for you." I told my mom.

"O-kay. Girl, why are you dressed up so nice? Where are you going at this hour?" My mom asked, suspicious of my attire.

I glance down. I'm wearing a normal t-shirt and a pair of jean shorts, they aren't even butt shorts. No way am I wearing those at night.

This is what I usually wear. "What? My clothes? What are you talking about? These are my normal."

"Hmm, ok. I'm going to take a shower. Go have a walk if you want. You might as well the night is so nice." My mom said nonchalantly letting me go without any more questions.

Ha, if only she knew that she almost caught me going out to see a boy.

***

*ding*

Ok, I'm on the 5th floor now. Even though I live on the 12th floor of this 30-storey apartment, it took me less than 5 minutes to go down to the garbage room and up the 5th floor.

Let's do this, shall we? He wants to talk? Let's talk.

As I walk out of the lift, the whole floor is deserted but well-lit with orange lights in the corridors and pathways. Yea, it feels somewhat safe.

Why am I such a scaredy-cat when I'm sleepy?

I can't help but feel nervous for some reason. I couldn't fathom why. My insides are all fluttery again and I can't help but think about earlier when we were in the pool.

Then, I see him leaning leisurely against the balustrade near the basketball court. His hair and his clothes flutter gently in the cold breeze. It makes him look like an Adonis. Even from the back.

He says a soft hey to me once I'm close enough. Then, he turns around to meet me.

In reply, I just nodded and offered a small smile then I looked out into the horizon where the clouds meet the moon in the sky. I'm not really in the talking mood now. For 3 reasons:

One, I'm tired.

Two, I'm supposed to be mad at him from his jerk ward attitude earlier.

And three, I'm suddenly shy to meet him. It somehow feels more intimate when we are alone here together in the dark. Like we're more than just friends.

Does he feel the same way that I do? The old shy little schoolgirl part of me hopes so. That part of me used to have that crush on him.

***

*Tom's p.o.v.*

I see her less than 5 minutes later after our phone call. Coincidentally, she was taking out the trash too. She's dressed casually in a t-shirt and shorts. How is she going to not be cold later?

I was expecting to talk over here in the open. Welp, I'll just have to hurry up and explain then.

Then, I hear the elevator ding announcing her arrival. I don't spin around to meet her yet. I took in a few lungsful of the cool night air when I hear her approaching footsteps before turning around. But not before I muttered a soft hey in greeting.

Before me stood a timid figure, that I thought I'd never see again after all these years. She's not looking at me. Her hands are clasped together tightly and that betrays her calm exterior, I can see she's trying to put up. I see she's not all confident and daring like the new person she seems to be normally. It worries me to see her so insecure but I'm glad I'm the only one able to see her vulnerable side right now.

She doesn't reply. All she does is nod and force a smile.

She is still the same person she has always been to me. All I have to do is joke with her and not for long she'll warm up to me. At least that's usually the case. Clearly, she has something else on her mind right now.

Well, here goes. "Charlotte, I don't know what exactly you saw but the woman you saw earlier with me is my cousin, Samantha."

She finally looks me right in the eyes as I say this.

"She's your cousin?", surprise can be heard in her voice. But she recollects herself again so I know she is still not letting this go.

"Yea, she's the reason I'm staying here. She lives closer to college compared to my folks. Besides, living without my parents around sure does have some of its perks. If only Sammy isn't so bossy." I said with a playful frown.

A small oh was her reply as she looked chagrined. I can just feel some of the tension from her shoulders dissipating.

"So why are you so upset about that? It can't be because you're jealous now, can you?" I can't help but tease her.

"No, I'm not." She replies too quickly and looks away.

"Hmm, really? Not even a teensy little bit?"

She huffs out a no and crosses her arms in front of her chest while rubbing it.

"Are you cold? Here take my jacket." I said as I shrugged off my jacket, I don't really need it anyway.

"Geez, you're so cheesy." She says as she quickly pulls my jacket on, but I can finally tell she's not mad at me anymore. 

"Yea must've been the pizza I had earlier."