Chapter 29

It's been almost a week since the last time I actually spoke to Tom. I wasn't actually mad at him anymore, I wasn't even mad in the first place. I'd just acted the way I did because I was grumpy and exhausted that day. Yeah, I know I can be quite a jerk. I just can't help it, my brain just shuts off and I become all cavewoman-like. Reverting back to primal instincts and forgetting everything else in the process.

We're starting our charity event soon. In fact, it starts exactly thirty minutes from now. I'm on delivering duty today, taking the orders to the kitchen at the back and then handing them to the right customers.

I'm going to be doing a lot of walking today. Megs is helping out in the makeshift kitchen. Laying newspapers and getting all the cooking appliances ready. That's the most french fries that I've ever seen in my entire life.

McDonald's has nothing on them.

"Hey, Megs! Ready to get greasin'? Or be greased?"

"Speak for yourself! Look at you all prepped to be greasing up to the customers." Megs looks up from the newspapers and winks at me, "or is it for a certain someone?"

She glanced to the other side of the large foyer where the other class's booth was. Or more specifically, where Tom's class's booth was.

I catch a glimpse of him in the back every now and then as he worked. Doing whatever it is he's supposed to be doing. It just so happens that his booth is situated right opposite of mine so I might be seeing him more often since he'd be in the line of my sight.

I just hope that he won't look up and accidentally catch me looking.

"Ugh. I so don't want him to be around in the same space as me. I'm going to get distracted." I murmured, I'm going to be really awkward with him so close by. Megs stays silent as she pauses in the middle of her task then continues on. "I'm still here if you need someone to talk to, ok?" 

"Yea..." I haven't really told Megs what happened the other day because I hate bringing up conflicts between us. It'll just end up in us separating each other. Because Tom is our friend and because telling Megs would mean her having to pick a side and that'd cause tension around us and I'd hate to ruin whatever she and Josh have going on right now.

Just thinking of him possibly watching me was enough to make me mess up.

Not that this is his fault. It's just me being retarded. I can't help it. It sucks that I'm avoiding him now. I know I can always approach him and apologise but then I'd be experiencing his smugness tenfold afterwards.

So not doing that. Maybe later. I know, I'm a terrible person.

That's why I have so few friends.

Walking back to the front counter, I sat down in one of the empty plastic chairs as I waited for time to pass. Since everything at the front is ready and my part hasn't started yet. There wasn't much to do except sit and wait around for the first customers.

"Hey, Charlotte! Lookin' good. You ready for today?" Alex asks, suddenly appearing in front of me.

With the table separating us, I stretched my legs as far as they can go as I replied with a bored yawn, "yeah, can't wait to start."

Alex leans on the table as he silently studies me. He has a weird look on his face today. I don't know what it is but he's creeping me out a little with the way he's looking at me. He seems to be watching my every move like a hawk.

***
It's around midday now. The air is heavy with the smell of fried foods from around the booths in the foyer. People from every course and major lining up every few minutes or so. I've been carrying at least three orders to the kitchen at once.

It had completely taken my mind off of Tom as I busied myself in work. Working like this has given me an opportunity to cooperate and bond with some of the girls at the cashier counter. They're really nice since we'd only really started talking to each other when this event started.

Mandy, Janet and Sophie were their names. I like Sophie the most out of the trio because she's funny while Janet is mostly serious and Mandy is just polite yet she's the prettiest out of the bunch. Like one of those popular, attractive girls you see in every class, that's Mandy.

The cooking is a little slow since we didn't expect that much demand. We've been selling like hotcakes. Well, I guess everyone likes some finger food.

Every now and then, Alex would talk to me. Helping me relay some of the orders to the kitchen. And there are times where he comes too close to me. Sidling up into my personal bubble.

He'd have this look in his eyes like he wants to do something but he hasn't tried anything yet. And he keeps flirting and sneaking me subtle hints too.

I'm flattered that an attractive guy like him is doing this to me but somehow I feel guilty. I feel like I'm cheating on Tom. I mean we almost did something more than cuddle that time.

Although I never really said anything about being his girlfriend, deep down I know that I've already come to accept him as my boyfriend.

I'm just too shy to tell him that. I'm pretty much still in denial about the fact that he likes me that way.

Like Tom doesn't know this but I secretly want to keep him hanging in the friend zone so that we'd never have to experience the downsides of being a couple.

Why go through the trouble of all that when we can just kiss whenever we want and still be friends?

I don't want our friendship to end and I sure as hell am not ready for a romantic relationship with him.

I guess I'm just afraid that I'll end up getting hurt and losing a precious friend in the process. I'm afraid that the commitment I put into this relationship will just be in vain and I'll end up getting deep emotional scars later on.

I know it's really selfish of me to be doing this to him. But I really don't know any better.

It's 4:30 pm now and the crowd has dwindled to only a handful of people. I took a seat as I relaxed and had a much-needed break.

Suddenly, there was a light tap on my shoulder then a male voice whispering right in my ear, "Hey there, ya got a minute?"