Chapter 39

We were in the middle of a very heated kiss. *knock* *knock* *knock*

"Hello? Anyone in there?" Someone called from the other side of the door.

Startled, we jumped apart from each other. Effectively putting our passionate time together to an abrupt halt. "Shit. Who is that?" I whispered to Tom, heart thudding in my chest, not because of Tom this time. Tom looks confused as we both stared at the door. "Thank goodness, I locked the door." He quickly muttered back to me. How did we not hear footsteps approaching?

Then he looks back at me, amused. A hint of laughter at the corner of his lips.

"What? What's so funny?!" I whisper-yelled, a little agitated. "Calm down, it's probably just somebody looking for extra chairs, maybe," Tom whispers, coming back closer to me. He sidles up to me, adjusting and buttoning up my shirt. His touch leaves goosebumps on my skin. I looked away from him, blushing as I tried not to shudder.

"Weird. These classrooms are never locked." The person outside mumbles loud enough for us to hear. A shuffling of feet could be heard before sharp echoes of footsteps move away in the empty hallway. Possibly towards another classroom in search of whatever they wanted.

He speaks quietly, his voice low and deep, "we'll have to finish this later." A sexy smirk plastered on his face. In response, I grabbed him and kissed him roughly again. Then, I pulled away returning his smirk to him. "Till later then." I didn't wait for him to say anything as I went and open the door. Hand in hand we walked out.

To see Alex and a girl walking away from our door outside.

We froze in our tracks. Then casually, we all started walking again, greeting them on our way out. "Hey" "Hi" "What's up" "Hi"

Suddenly, Alex speaks up. "Oh hey, Charlotte! Wait. Do you know where we can find the first aid kit?"

The girl next to him, which I recognized as Betty, a classmate of ours, gives Alex an odd look but doesn't say anything to him.

"Yyeah, there should be one in every classroom. If not then you should go look in the administration office. Why'd you need it?"

"Oh uh-" Before Alex could answer Betty beat him to it. "Sarah accidentally cut her finger." Sarah, another one of our classmates.

Alex is being a little shifty-eyed. Looking here and there, when he does make eye contact it's only for a brief moment. But there it is. That look of longing again. He clearly still has feelings for me.

Seeing Tom and I together like this must be really hurtful to him. I squeeze Tom's hand in mine, searching my heart for that crush I once had on Alex. Or any attraction I used to harbour over him. Nope, nada. None at all. None except the fondness of our friendship we once had before...you know...

"Aight, you guys hurry up. Don't let her bleed out." Tom says, pulling on my hand to go. I looked at Tom, he has that dark emotion in his eyes. Jealousy. And concern?

The rest of the event went by uneventfully. Thankfully, I don't think I can stomach more drama. It's been a roller coaster of emotions these past few days. Thank goodness, the holidays are coming soon. Then it'll be the end of the year. I'm looking forward to it. 

Today will be the last day of this charity event. Then we will take a break for the semester. We all deserve a well-needed rest, especially since I, personally have been feeling a little fatigued lately. 

I say goodbye to everyone and thank them for their hard work then I was out of there. Driving home in a well-practised manner, relying on muscle memory to take me home.

It wasn't until after dinner before I felt the first pangs of the menstrual cramps. Ah, let the horrendous episode begin. The first days are always the worst. Sometimes the cramps are bearable but then there are days where surviving without painkillers are just out of the question. 

Unfortunately, this month's period is the latter kind. The worst kind of torture one should never have to endure. But here I am. I cried a little as I felt the sadness and a myriad of other negative emotions swamp me. The familiar sinking feeling makes my heart throb. In times like these, I seem to crave for a warmth. Someone to hold on to. Being alone at home right now makes me more vulnerable than the usual menstrual first days. I wish Tom was here with me. 

Tom. I want him. I need him now. 

So I called him over as I down two pills. Lying in wait (and in pain) for him on the sofa. Cold sweat appears on my body making me feel cold when I also feel hot. You know you got it bad when there's cold sweat involved. I curl up on the couch in my sweatshirt and pants, hugging my soft toy dog tight against my chest. 

Finally, I hear the doorbell go. I stagger to my feet, trying to get to the door fast without causing more pain. "Tom, it's so good to see you," I say as I immediately go to hug him. 

"Char, how are you feeling?" He asks softly, feeling my forehead for my temperature. A frown on his face. I don't want him to feel burdened by me. I must've caused him a lot of trouble to be here. Must've been annoying. 

I look away, down at my soft toy in my arms. "I'm sorry for calling you over on such short notice, it's ok if you don't want to stay. I won't be a burden." My heart aches thinking about it. I know I'm letting those negative emotions take over me but it's just so easy to give in. 

Tom instantly caresses my cheek, making me look up at him. "Don't, you're not a burden. I said that I'll be here for you and I will."   

He gently guides me to my bed, settling down beside me once I did. "Do you need anything? Anything at all?" I lie on my back, staring at the ceiling then at him. My eyes were unfocused. 

"Just hug me close." I manage a faint smile as I replied. All I needed was him. But now that he said it... It made me think about the things we would've done if I wasn't in pain. 

Anything? Anything at all?