Chapter 30

"Sooo can you do me a tiny little favour?"

The male voice turns out to belong to a guy I've never seen before. Looking fresh and cool with a flurry of cologne drifting around him. Wearing dark jeans and a fancy buttoned-down shirt, coupled with picture-perfect hair and a dazzling smile. Only that smile wasn't for me, it was for pretty girl Mandy.

See, he wants to do a little surprise for her with me here as an accomplice. A helper. He really just wants me to hold the cake for him while he pranks her with an empty cake box. HA! Hold the cake! Mandy takes the cake. Get it? I'm literally holding a cake. Like carrying a slice of cake with two hands.  

Though it's sweet, it's still a bit cheesy. LOL, I can't stand the romance in the air. I can't with these people. When I wish the person I like would do the same for me. When the person I like is standing right opposite of me.

Wait, did he just take pictures with his phone? I looked over and caught a glimpse of a black object in his hand before he dropped his hands to his sides. Hmm, maybe, maybe not. 

Our eyes met and emotions ran clear in his eyes. He wasn't wearing his usual smirk and his facial expression was devoid of emotion. I couldn't tell what he was thinking by looking at his eyes alone. I looked away immediately. Not wanting to interact with him. Not wanting to give him a reason to tease me.

I'm so sick of these games we're playing. I don't want to play it anymore. Being the sidekick to someone else's romance just makes me bitter now. I got to admit, I did expect something else. 

Not gonna lie, I wanted that good looking guy to treat me like that. Instead, it's always someone else and I'm just the help. I'm never the one. I don't know anymore, maybe it's because of the exhaustion of being busy all day. 

I'm a little depressed. Kinda wanted this day to end uneventfully but this just has to happen. Why me? Maybe I just don't deserve him. Am I so undeserving of his love? I'm just a girl who's cowardly and useless. Utterly useless.

Maybe I'm just not outspoken enough, as a person. I'm never enough. I'm just unwanted. I'm me...

My head fills itself up with negative emotions that have been long buried in the far corners of my mind. The darkest parts come seeping in and I try to keep it in as I turn away from everyone. Emotions that have been kept pent up inside little by little over time just openly flows to every inch of my being. Until all I feel is a deep aching feeling in my chest and pressure behind my eyes. 

It's not until my brows furrows themselves together that I realise that I was going to cry. I need to get out of here. It's stifling to be here. I can't breathe. I didn't bother telling anyone where I was going as I walked away from my post. Quietly slipping away like my existence meant nothing at all. It was running towards end time now anyway, just an hour left or so before we have to pack things up for the day. 

I didn't care where I was going. I just had to get away from everything. It's just too much. 

The loud, rowdy music from the fair faded from my ears as I got further away to a more secluded area of the campus. By now most of the students and even the staff members have already left, leaving quiet corridors and classrooms to me. It's especially quiet here since this is on the innermost, secluded part in the old wing of the building. 

Wait, no, I'm not alone. It took me a few moments too late to notice the muted footsteps made by a pair of sneakers following closely behind me to realise that. Before I had the chance to turn around, whoever made a grab for me. Their grip was strong as they pulled me backwards towards them. Into a solid chest. 

"Ughh, Tom?" I reacted before actually looking up at the person. "Alex? What're you doing here?" 

He gives me a dirty grin as he says, "I could ask you the same thing." 

Ok, the way he is grinning at me is giving me chills and us being alone in the middle of nowhere doesn't sit well with me. My mental breakdown from earlier was momentarily forgotten as I regretted not telling anyone where I was going. I wish I hadn't strayed away.

"Oh, nothing really. I just needed a walk to stretch my legs." I looked around awkwardly as I spoke. Then I blurted out something that I will come to regret very much later. "Were you following me?"

His answer came without pause. "Yes. I wanted to talk to you in private." 

"Without that Tom guy who's always hovering around you. What's he to you anyway? Is he your boyfriend?" Alex furrows his brows as he says this part with a frown and a cute pout on his lips.

Well, that's funny. A minute ago, I was just seeking attention from someone I had barely met and now one just appears in the form of smoking hot Alexious. Too bad my heart already belongs to someone else.

He continues saying after seeing me smile a little, "well and also you looked kinda upset earlier."

Not wanting to explain myself, I decided to avoid the last comment as I spun something up to make its focus less concentrated. "Oh, Alexious! Are you jealous?"

"Oooo that rhymes," I answered myself, chuckling.  

Then I realise he was slowly cornering me to a wall. Backing us to a wall as I take one step after another backwards and him forwards. Me, losing the teasing game that only just got started. 

With only a grunt as a warning, I was suddenly pushed to the wall. My back connected with the wall not so gently. Now, I'm mad. I flinched as the pain shot up my spine, turning my glare up at the perpetrator. His gaze is unwavering. He's no longer playful as he slams his two powerful arms into the wall next to my face. 

*****

Wrote some part of this when I was angry so it came out a little wack. I might regret this in the morn but here it is.