Chapter 18

Tests after test came and went. We studied and did our best in each one of them. Now that we've gotten all the hard work done, it's time to paaaartay!

Today is Friday, the day before our little barbeque party. I'm sitting at the bench now waiting for Tom to finish his last test before we drove home. We've been taking turns driving and I'm his ride today.

Megs and Josh live half an hour away so we can't really carpool so it's only been me and Tom in the car. And I tell you, it can be a little awkward sometimes. With Tom and his silly flirtatious jokes and me being hormonal from the stress from the tests and the time of the month approaching.

By next week, I'd be getting a visit from the queen of waterfalls. Ugh, so not looking forward to the cramps and all that.

"BOO!" All of a sudden somebody shoved me from behind.

"Ahh! WHaa?" I almost fell off my seat from the fright. I stood up and surprise, surprise, it's Alex?

At least he has the courtesy to look a little sheepish.

"WHAT THE HELL? Alex? You tryna scare me to death?" I put my face in my hands to calm my poor heart, resting my elbows on my knees.

"Omg! I'm sorry. I just wanted to give you a surprise. Not kill you!" Alex says putting a hand on my shoulder to calm me down.

Then, he slides over the bench to sit beside me. "Hey, whatchu doing?"

"I'm just waiting for my friend to go home. You?"

"Oh, just walking back from the library. Gotta return some books I borrowed." I looked up at him then, omg. How is it that he's so attractive? He's wearing a blue button-down dress shirt with dark wash jeans and black sneakers.

Hmm, a good looking guy who studies hard? Me likey.

Suddenly, a pair of arms embraced my shoulders from behind. Wtf? This again?

"Heeey, Char. I'm done. Ey, dude." A familiar voice said from behind.

"Thomas Freaaking Morales, you got nerve for doing that again."

A snicker was heard as Tom walked around the bench to sit on the other side of me.

"What? Did Alex here do that before I arrived?" Tom said jokingly but I know him well enough to know that the look on his face is anything but. His eyes are serious as he glances at Alex, smiling a smile that does not reach it.

"Is he bothering you?" He says to me but still looking at Alex. I look between them confused. Though he's not smiling now. Alex isn't showing any other expression on his face other than the friendly one he had on earlier.

"No, he was literally just passing by."

The moment passed and nobody is speaking. They are still staring each other down. What's going on here? One second we were joking around then having a stare down the next.

I could feel the tension brewing like hot tea. Any time now the kettle is gonna start whistling. It's overflowing with tension.

"O-kay. I guess we should go now. Byyye, Alex. See you next Monday. Come on, Tom." I said finally breaking away from the two of them by standing up and grabbing Tom by the arm.

"Right, leggo, Char. See you around." Tom nodded to Alex before getting up with me.

I held his hand as he continues walking behind me. But he is walking so slowly. Is he deliberately doing this to annoy me?

"Tom, hurry up. I wanna go home."

His only reply is a soft chuckle as he continues lagging behind.

When we reach my car, however, he suddenly moves up and traps me against the car door. With my front pressed up to the car and his front to my back.

"Tom, wh-" I am cut off by his hand covering my mouth.

"Char, I think you should stay away from him."

Then, he turns me around but he doesn't move back.

"Mhmmmhp!"

"I'm not sure what it is but I have a bad feeling about him."

I lick his palm and he finally pulls his hand away. I scoffed at him. "Boi, he didn't do anything! And even if he tried, I can take care of myself. Also, don't do that again! Anyone walking by would think you were trying to do something."

I paused as I look at Tom. He's still serious but I don't find the position he put us in uncomfortable at all. I actually felt safe being so close to him. He makes me feel wanted.

So I buried my face in his chest and held him close. "Tom-"