Chapter 14

*Tom's p.o.v.*

Josh and I got out of class a little earlier so we got a table right in the middle of the cafeteria. Not many people were around yet when we arrived. Most students here prefer eating out rather than the food here at the campus cafeteria.

The cafeteria is quite huge with a few choices of vendors to choose from. I'm thinking I'll have some burgers or something.

I mostly eat here out of convenience but it also depends on what Josh wants to eat most of the time. We hang out all the time after class since he's my best bud. Today, it's just us two and the girls eating together. We're grabbing a quick bite since we still have classes later.

Then, I see Megan and Charlotte heading towards the cafeteria. They're not alone.

A tall, well-built guy is walking closely with them. Closer to Charlotte it seems. Too close.

Then, she touches his arm in an adoring manner. This is unsettling.

She's laughing at something he said. And he's leaning way too close to my liking. They are literally touching. Even from here, I can see him checking her out here and there when she isn't looking.

My mood immediately darkens.

They finally reach our table and Josh stood up to greet everybody. I remained at my seat. I kept my gaze on Char. By then, she'd already noticed me looking at her.

She looks shy. So, she's reverted to her old self because of him? Who is this guy to her?

Then, I turn my attention to the newcomer. The new guy greets us as he introduces himself politely. "Hey. Megan, Charlotte and I are classmates. I'm Alexious but my friends usually just call me Alex. So, you guys can call me that too."

Alex extends his hand towards Josh first and they shook hands. After they shook hands, Alex's eyes met mine. I sized him up, so this guy is a fellow classmate of Char's huh.

I stood up, to shake his hand as he extended it to me. "Hi, I'm Thomas," I say coolly and smirked.

Hmm, this guy has a pretty firm grip. He's pretty ripped. But I could take him anytime. If he does try to steal Char away from me. Or worse treat her badly.

But I was here first and she's MINE first. I smirked as I thought that. I know her better than he does. 

*Char's p.o.v.*

Phew. I've never seen Tom so cold before. But in a second he suddenly turned cool. He even smirked.

We all took turns going to queue up for our food. Josh asked Tom, "Hey, Tom. Let's go. Whatchu wanna get?"

"Nah, I'm cool. I'm gonna go with Char. She owes me a meal." Tom directed a smirk at me.

"Oh cool, then."

I quickly grabbed Tom's hand before anyone could ask any more questions. "Yea, let's go, Tom."

I let go of his hand once we stood up to leave and we walked along the aisle as I turned to Tom. "So, what do you want to get?"

He suddenly went to my side and slid an arm around my shoulders. "Hmm, I'm thinking that western is good today." And he looked at me intensely. Looking into his eyes, I could see the dark emotion in them.

It's not that his closeness was an issue, in the past we hugged and even lied next to each other before. It's that he has never looked at me the way he is looking at me now while standing so close.

"Ook, then I'll have something similar as well."

We stood in the queue that consisted of 3 people in front of us. Tom speaks up as we stood side by side his arm still around my shoulders, "so, this Aaron guy seems pretty close to you."

He's really touchy today and although it's really subtle, he's acting pretty weird too.

"It's Alex and, nah, I just got to know him today. We're working on a group project together. He's really f..ffunny though." As I talked, Tom's fingers started to brush and caress the ball of my shoulders. Tingles and goosebumps ran through my spine and I shivered involuntarily.

"Mmpnn, Tom, stop. You're tickling me." I grinned up at him only to find him staring down at me intensely with a smirk at the corner of his lips.

I know that look. It's the same one he had on his face from that day at the pool.

I shivered again but for a different reason. "Oh, Char. I hope you know how precious you are to me."

I looked at him wanting him to continue what he was saying but he had already stepped up to place our orders.