Chapter 19

I inhaled his scent and listened to his heartbeat which is becoming increasingly fast. A moment passed when he just let me hug him and he slowly hugged me back.

Time for a little tease.

I nuzzle my cheeks against his chest while reaching my hands around his neck. My fingers tracing circles and random patterns on his skin. I pulled his face to mine slowly at first, just hovering in front of his face. Leaving just a few mere inches between his lips and mine. Then I went in for the kill.

To kiss his cheek.

"Gotcha!" I laughed at him as I released Tom from my grip. I was already walking away to the driver's side of the car when he grabbed my wrist.

He pulls me up to him again. "No-no-no. Char, you see. The joke's on you. 'Cause I've always wanted to do that. But I'd prefer it if you kissed me properly."

Then, leaning down to my ear, "on my lips."

That was the last thing he said before he moulded his lips against mine.

I am in shock. I have no idea what to do. Do I even like him like that?

I don't know. This is a first for me. My first kiss. Not even Josh has attempted to kiss me.

I stood frozen my eyes wide open.

Tom is kissing me. His kiss is gentle with just the slightest touch of his lips on mine. Like a sweet caress. But I'm too preoccupied with being confused. 

I slowly closed my eyes as I tried to recompose myself. 

It all probably lasted only a few seconds but it felt like time stopped around us. But I wanted it to last forever. 

We pulled apart as he held me at arm's length. "Welp, llet's go home shall we?" I said quickly to avoid the awkward atmosphere that is to come surely. Then, before he could act, I quickly walked to the driver's side of the door.

Classic 'aight Imma head out meme. 

***

I was right. This is so awkward. I have to constantly remind myself to keep my eyes on the road. I'm literally praying for the stoplights to disappear so that we could arrive faster.

I don't know what Tom is thinking when he decided to kiss me and cause us to become awkward around each other. I mean, does he like me or is this just another one of his never-ending pranks? Because this would be where I draw the line.

I don't want a complication in our friendship? Wait that should be a full stop, not a question mark? It's supposed to be a statement.

A small part of me still has hope that he'd like me for more than a friend. What would it be like to be with someone who's been a friend for such a long time? Who really knows me. 

The way he's acting makes me feel the old butterflies that were supposed to have died down years ago, act up again. I'm not sure he feels the same way. But he said he's always wanted to kiss me?

My lips still tingle from the unexpected kiss earlier, however brief it may be.

His lips are so soft. Moulding against mine, it's unlike anything I've ever felt before.

I drove in a daze till we were parked in the parking lot. Then, I cut the engine and finally turned to him.

He was already looking at me. Actually, he has been the entire car ride home.

His expression is unreadable. I have no clue what he's thinking.

Then, he reached over to pull me into a hug. "Char, you mean a lot to me. I'm sorry, I went a little too far. Please don't hate me."

"Yyea. It's ok." Even I can hear the uncertainty in my voice. His hug did nothing to calm my heartbeat but I felt oddly safe in his arms. I trust him to take care of me.

But then, his heartbeat is also anything but calm. We hug a little while longer before pulling apart.

I glanced at him to look for a sign of reassurance that things are going to be fine between us.

My eyes froze on the way up to meet his eyes, on a particular spot.

What I saw gave me the second shock of the day.

He has a freaking boner. "Um, Tom?"

When I finally met his eyes, it was so intense.

It suddenly got hotter in my car. He's so hot when he has that intense look on his face. Almost smouldering.

Then, he looked down at himself and smirked.

Omg, I think the car just took a nose dive into a volcano. That was so hot.

I can't help but lean in to him. There's no going back now.