Chapter 28

I blushed again, my eyes failing to meet his. With his soft, dreamy eyes looking at me like he's staring right into my soul. Before this, I never had trouble holding eye contact with him. But now? I'm just blushing all the time, like the shy girl everybody perceives me to be. 

His gaze seems different from before. I don't really know how to explain it but it's like all he sees in his eyes is me. Nothing else.

"Char?" Tom asks cautiously when I didn't say anything and just kept looking down at the floor at my feet. 

His hand goes around my shoulders as he leans sideways into my shoulder, rubbing it slightly but comfortingly. 

"I don't want us to be shy around each other. If it's awkward, we could go back to just being friends. I don't mind." he says softly and I could hear the sadness in them.

I slowly turned and leaned my head on his as I touched his hand on my shoulder. "No, I don't want that. I just like you so much that I don't know what to do." 

It's true. We've been friends for so long that, I've gotten used to him just as that boy who's just someone I could tease around with. 

I've wanted him before but those were just childish fantasies, I've never actually thought that he would reciprocate my feelings. That my long-hidden crush would like me back like this.

I've changed so much since then, I don't know if I really did like him or not. It's just silly that I used to envision him smiling solely at me, holding hands and the whole lot. But now it's much more than that. My understanding of being in a relationship with someone has changed. I have changed, he has. Everything has changed. We have grown up to be two different people. 

"It's ok, I'm here and I'm not about to go anywhere, anytime soon," Tom says reassuringly, hugging me, even more, closer than before. "Not when I know that you like me too."

With that, I hugged him back. Us hugging has made me so emotional because I have never felt so content in my life. "Thank you." 

His only response is a gentle pat on my back and a few soothing rubs up and down my back. If I could, I don't want this moment between us to end. But nothing lasts forever. 

Tom started tickling my sides and I burst out laughing. "HAHAHHHHHA! TOM! STOP!" 

He grins devilishly, "are you feeling better now?" 

"YES! YES! YES! NOW STOP! OR I PUNCH YOU IN DAA FACE" 

He chuckles as he removes his hands and proceeds to move away. "No no, I want you to hug me again. Please?" I quickly pleaded. For some reason, being close to him is really comforting right now. 

Wordlessly, he embraced me again

Wordlessly, he embraced me again. His scent is all I could smell and his warmth is all I could feel. I just want to melt into him. 

We continued hugging for a while and then we went in to the cinema. Hand in hand we went with Megs and Josh sneaking us knowing looks all the way to our seats. Me just giving them stink eyes.