Diavolo X Reader II

• MC: Main Character, which is you, the reader
• (A/N): Author's Note
• Italicized words: your thoughts

☆☆☆☆☆

Ever since you arrived in Devildom as an exchange student, Lord Diavolo was nothing but welcoming. He understood that adapting to a new environment, surrounded by strangers, would be difficult so he did his utmost best to make your life as safe and comfortable as possible. Additionally, whenever you were constantly reminded of being a weak human and were looked down upon, Diavolo was the only demon who treated you as equals. It might be nothing to him but for you, it was exactly what you needed during stressful times. Perhaps, this incident was what made you warm up to him. Therefore, together with his beliefs and ambitions, his enjoyable company are what made you adore him. For now, these romantic feelings were hidden deep within your heart and remained as unrequited love.

☆☆☆

It was the daily routine of the student council members, Diavolo, Lucifer and Barbatos to oversee the campus after school hours. Unfortunately, Barbatos had an urgent business to attend to and no one volunteered to substitute. Luckily, Lucifer found the help he needed after bumping into you.

An institution with a long history such as RAD entailed questionable rumors as much as it earned prestige. Furthermore, it did not help that Mammon warned you of horror stories that haunted the academy. Some would find this thrilling. You, however, were afraid of ghosts and monsters. You instantly regretted being such a pushover while you, Lucifer and Diavolo were discussing the distribution of tasks.

"Okay, MC, you're going to cover the east wing." Lucifer ordered. "That's the area Barbatos is in charge of. Diavolo will take the north and I will go west. Any questions?"

Slowly, you raised your hand and explained after Lucifer permitted you. "Um...it's not a question per se but more of a heads up."

"What is it?" Lucifer questioned.

"Well, I'm scared of going by myself. I get nervous walking around this late at night in the east wing alone. So, I thought I should tell you that I might scream out of nowhere."

The wrath in Lucifer's fiery red eyes were far more frightening than any ghost, even more so with a seething ice-cold voice. "Why are you telling us this now?"

"I did say no when you asked me." You squeaked out defensively but swiftly clamped your mouth shut after the furrows between Lucifer's brows grew deeper.

"Now, now Lucifer." Diavolo thankfully intervened before Lucifer blew his top. "There's nothing we can do if she's scared. We're going to have to compromise. Let's divide the east wing. I'll go with MC."

"Fine." Lucifer huffed irritably. "I'll take the auditorium and the west wing. Both of you take the courtyard and the north wing. Clear?"

"Crystal." Diavolo affirmed then the group dispersed. Without the presence of Lucifer, only then did you realize that you were left alone with your crush. The turn of events definitely worked out in your favor.

First, the two of you strolled around the north wing, comprising of the lecture halls. One by one, you inspected each classroom with Diavolo in the lead. He chatted to break the ice. "It's been a while since we've hung out. How are you? I hope you're enjoying your stay in the House of Lamentation."

"It's great."

"None of the brothers bothering you?"

"Well, they're always bothering me, especially Lucifer, but that's what makes everyday so much fun."

"I'm glad. If you're ever in trouble, don't hesitate to come to me. Or you can speak to Lucifer. He'll be sure to listen to you."

"I'll keep that in mind." More precisely, you would skip Lucifer and go for Diavolo. "I highly doubt Lucifer would care anyway."

Soon, you left the north wing and proceeded on the east wing. As soon as you stepped out into the courtyard, Diavolo chirped. "Did you know there is a famous spot here?"

"For what?" You queried nervously, bracing yourself for another story of mysterious occurrences in the four corners of RAD.

"You see that? That spot under the tree?" He clarified, pointing towards a giant a hundred year old tree. "It's famous as a confession spot."

Taken aback, you questioned. "Confession? As in, confessing to the one you like."

"That's right. It's filled with romantic history."

"I-is that so?" You stammered, fearing that Diavolo saw right through you and knew you were harboring feelings for him. Unfortunately, Diavolo misinterpreted the look on your face.

"No need to be shy. Look, I'm sorry for barging in on your time with the one you like. I was being tactless and only realized after pairing up with you."

As Diavolo rambled on, the more you grew confused. "What are you talking about? What do you mean by barging in on my time with the one I like?"

"You like Lucifer. The way you bicker with each other must have been your way of showing affection. I only found out about it. As your wingman, I should have taken a step back and let you two pair up. You should be together with him here. Not to worry, I won't let your chance slip away. Look, there's Lucifer, just about to enter the auditorium. I'll call him for you."

Before Diavolo could take a step, you yanked his arm with a horrified expression. All of a sudden, you blurted out. "You've got it all wrong! I don't like Lucifer. The one I like is you."

The prince was certainly taken by surprise, judging by how his eyes almost popped out of its sockets. Thereafter, he closed his gaping mouth and released his arm from your grasp. It was evident that he was conflicted and you were a nerve wreck, preparing for the worse.

"I'm sorry, MC." Diavolo finally replied. "I've never seen you in that way. I do like you but only as friends."

Rejection was inevitable and you knew deep down that this was what you would eventually receive. Still, being immensely hurt, you forced a smile on your face and stated. "I understand. Even though our feelings are not mutual, I am still grateful for how you looked after me and treated me well."

Joyful memories with Diavolo flooded into your head and your lips trembled, making it difficult for you to maintain a calm facade. It felt like there was a heavy weight on your heart and you struggled to breathe as tears threatened to fall. It became worse as Diavolo called out your name worriedly because you went silent. With one final look into his eyes, you spun on your heel and broke off into a sprint, away from the demon who made you feel secure but still broke your heart.

"Where are you going, MC? Where's Diavolo?" Lucifer hollered abruptly as he caught sight of you in the hallway. His stern features automatically softened once he saw your tear-stained cheeks. "What's wrong?"

His concern was the cause of the thread snapping within you and finally pushed you over the edge. You bawled your eyes out and cried out loud enough to fill the hallways. Lucifer was shocked by the situation and pulled you into a hug impulsively. In the end, you took Diavolo's advice and had Lucifer listen to all your troubles.