Chapter Six

Jonas

I scan my eyes around the Senate room while the Order yells over each other, only Colton, Gwen, and I remaining calm. Well, at least acting civilized compared to our tumultuous cousins. "Enough!" I scream, reducing my cousins' roar to a few meek whispers. "I know how it sounds! But it doesn't change the fact that there are five people up there without Dates who have no idea who we are. Which means no fear, nor respect. So unless you have a better theory, we will continue with this one. Now, does anyone have any idea how to get them back where they came from?"

"Does Moretti know about this?" Bently, my Digamma asks.

"No. Nor is he going to. At least not for now. They are in our country, this is our problem to solve. Epsilon, Eta, make sure the Society doesn't find out about this. Especially the Amoris. We can give the civilians bandages to cover up their arms. Digamma, if it comes to it, could Abella say they're from France?" The Order looks at each other, confused. I realize how ridiculous I sound the second the words escape my lips.

"Preeminence," Bently asks. "You want to tell Abella, the princess of France, about a bunch of civilians from an alternate universe?" I sigh.

"You're right. Tresais, do you have anything?" Gwen takes a second too long to think.

"Preeminence, can I talk to you?" Colton asks.

"Yes, Beta?"

"Outside?" He starts to walk before I have a chance to decline, giving me no choice but to follow him. "Khaleedi, what's going on? You're acting like you've lost your head," he says once I close the door.

"What do you mean?" I ask, knowing exactly what he means.

"This cannot be about the civilians. We've been through much worse than this, and you've always stayed, well, fairly level headed. I mean, asking to reveal this information to Abella? What is it?"

"It's Iris," I say, attempting to conceal my smile, which seems to work, as Colton seems genuinely worried.

"Is she okay?" I shake my head. He's come a long way since he and Zeke exposed her Date... among other things.

"She's pregnant," I say. Colton, to my surprise, hugs me. Slowly, I allow myself to hug him back.

"That's amazing!" He smiles, letting this be one of the rare occasions in which he reveals this emotion, before returning to look like his stoic self. "It still doesn't explain your current state. Are you worried she'll pass?"

"No, but thank you for reminding me of the possibility." I take a deep breath, choosing to trust my brother. "The child's Date," I mutter at the floor.

"Brother, what do you mean?" My Mark starts to itch, reminding me not to give too much away. If only he knew what his fate was destined to be. I rub my temples.

"Nothing. It's not important. We should resume the meeting, I'm certain our cousins are acting juvenile," I say, grabbing the handle to the Senate room door. Colton stops me, grabbing my arm, the one covered by a bandage.

"Jonas, you can trust me." Can I? I don't know if I want to find out.

"We have a meeting to run, Beta." I enter the Senate room.