Chapter Forty-Seven

Thea

"Truth or dare?" Anna asks. The eight of us lay on the boardwalk, looking up at the stars, zigzagged, head to feet, passing around Colton's cell phone, which has a truth or dare game pulled up.

"Dare," Colton says.

"Serenade the person to your right." He looks at Iris, sighs, then looks at Jonas, who shrugs. Colton stands, then knees down next to Iris, who sits up. He grabs her hand, pretending to hold a microphone to his lips with the other. He sings a song from Siren of the Heart, before kissing the back of her palm, and laying back down next to her, hands folded behind his head.

"Cousin," Colton says. "You're up."

"Truth," Bently says.

"Who is the person you most regret kissing?" Bently stares at him, smiling.

"If you expect me to say, Abella, I'm sorry to disappoint." He pauses. "Odette." Jonas and Colton stare at him. Iris rolls her eyes.

"Excuse me?" Jonas asks.

"I was in the catacombs for weeks, Preeminence. It was either her or Iris. Although, I did pick the better of that option." Jonas opens his mouth to say something, but Iris shakes her head. He lets it go. "Mr. Adams, choose."

"Dare," Noah says.

"Drink a bottle of water while attempting a handstand." Noah stands, grabs a bottle of water from the cooler, and takes his shirt off.

"Ladies," he says, winking at me. I roll my eyes. Noah leans onto his hands, lifting his feet to the stars, and shifts onto one hand. "Anna, darling, a little help?" She rolls her eyes too, then grabs the bottle. With his free hand, he unscrews the lid, putting it to the side. Anna hands him the bottle, and in one gulp, he downs it, finishing off with a burp. Aiden and the Blackwood boys shift in their seats. Noah lays back down. "Bestie, truth, or dare?"

"Which one?" I, Anna, Iris, and Aiden ask.

"The queen," Noah says like it was obvious. Iris smiles.

"Truth." Bently passes him the phone.

"Describe, in detail, your most recent romantic encounter."

"No!" Jonas yells, without breaking his view of the stars.

"It's not your question."

"It is my country. And privacy."

"Fine. We'll do a different one. Iris, tell us about your first kiss."

"Absolutely not!"

"What? That's invading your privacy too?"

"Mr. Adams," Colton interrupts. "I would stop before your body is found mysteriously washed ashore. I can assure that your death would not be a quick one." Noah grows pale.

"Yes, sir. Iris, how about a dare? Kiss the person to your left." She looks at Jonas.

"That can be arranged," he says, moving on top of her, before pulling her close. I look away.

"Thea," Iris says, out of breath. "It's you."

"Dare," I answer.

"Jump in the lake with whatever you're wearing right now." I look down. I'm wearing a top and jean shorts, but under that is a swimsuit.

"But the water's freezing!" I yell.

"Sorry, the phone has chosen." She holds it up.

"Fine, I will. But, you go in with me. And Anna." Anna glares at me. I smirk at her.

"I've been through worse. Deal. I can't jump though." She glances down at her stomach. We look at Anna.

"How did I get dragged into this?" She rolls her eyes, but stands, joining the two of us. We join hands.

"Ready?" I yell. "One!" We all say. "Two! Three!" Anna and I jump. Iris slips into the water. It feels like hundreds of knives stabbing at my skin. When I surface, Aiden's handsome smile the first thing I see. Grabbing onto the pier, then the cloth of his shirt, I kiss him. "Truth or dare," I whisper.

"I don't have a choice, do I?" He whispers back. I shake my head, giving him the coyest smile I can manage. "Dare."

"Get in with me." He shakes his head, before standing, then takes off his shirt, revealing his six-pack. Have I mentioned that I'm in love with him?

"Boys, are you joining or what?" Aiden yells. Colton, Noah, and Bently groan but stand. Jonas looks at Iris, who's still in the water. Colton grabs Jonas' upper arm, lifting him up.

"Brother," he says. "Tonight, we're normal." Jonas nods. They look at Aiden, readying themselves on the edge.

"Cannonball!" Aiden yells, jumping in. When he surfaces, he pulls me closer, until our lips touch. Jonas shakes his head, then leaps with Colton. Noah and Bently follow. For a while, we splash, dunk, and for Aiden and I, Jonas and Iris, kiss.

"Two more," I say when our lips are blue, and we've climbed back onto the pier, laughing. I, and by I, Aiden helps, take off my wet clothes, leaving my swimsuit, before snuggling into Aiden's chest. He kisses the top of my head.

"Preeminence," he asks. "Your favorite thing about Iris." I'm not facing them, but I'm sure Jonas is looking at her the same way Aiden is looking at me.

"She makes me want to be better," he admits. "More... human." Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Colton smile. "And last, Ms. White."

"Truth."

"What's the cruelest joke you've played on someone?" Anna cringes.

"The glitter bomb," she says. "Guys, I know Kaityln deserved it, but that was too much. It's never getting out of her car!"