Chapter Twenty-Nine

Iris

"I don't know, Jonas." He paces around his office, my heart hurting about lying to him. At least this time, I'm not the one he needs to find.

"Iris, a guard said you left the Estate before lunch yesterday. It was hours before you came back. You're telling me that you left alone, and somehow Vienna managed to escape during that time?"

"Jonas, if you don't believe me, I'm sure Colton could use some company." He stops pacing.

"I am not throwing you in a cell! You're my wife, not to mention carrying my child."

"And Vienna's his! If it wasn't for the whole 'marry an Amoris' rule, they'd be on their honeymoon right now."

"I highly doubt that, Iris. She's a traitor who was banned from leaving the grounds. She couldn't even go into the maze without supervision."

"What's she going to do, Jonas? The rebellions don't exist. It's not possible to leave the US. Let her go, Jonas." He sits in his chair, eyes closed.

"Did you help her escape?" I don't respond. He already knows the answer.

***

By dinner, the lockdown of the Estate had been lifted. It's obvious Vienna is nowhere to be found, and Jonas is fairly certain who did it. One of the parties has been stripped of their rank, the other feeling too guilty to exit her room. Because she's eating for two and is the Preeminence's wife, servents still bring her meals, but besides for them and her husband, she hasn't had any contact all day.

Around midnight, when I'm already tucked into bed, Jonas enters the room. He silently conducts his bedtime routine, then lays down next to me, my back turned to him.

"I know you're awake," he whispers. I slowly let my arm fall next to his, and he takes my hand, which I bring back over my heart, causing him to hold me close. "Thank you." I look at him.

"For what?" I ask.

"For whoever helped Vienna. As much as I wish otherwise, I couldn't have sat there while she was tortured."

"I wish I knew who helped her." He kisses me.

"Mmmhmm." I look forward.

"What's doing to happen to Colton?" Jonas sighs.

"I don't want to think about that right now."

"He's your brother. At least think about letting him off easy?"

"I already have."