Chapter Twenty-Two

Jonas

I rub my temples and put away some proposal my Eta placed on my desk. It's been three years. He has to learn who's in charge. I am alive. I am Preeminence. He is part of my Order. It's about time he learns some respect, or at the very least, fear. This all feels like a game I've already played; a game I won, and a game I will win again. I walk to the map of my country, framed within my bookshelf. After a minute or two, Colton steps into my office. I tell him to lock and shut the door. He does as I say, and sits in the chair before me. Now comes the hard part. To make it easier, I will give him something I can't decide if he truly deserves: a choice.

"Beta," I say, looking at the map. "May I remind you of the two things the Society needs to thrive? The reason we have Marks, the same reason we do not allow travel, and the reason our family holds rule?"

"Respect," he says, shifting in his seat.

"And?"

"Fear." I walk back to my desk and sit on its edge, the side closest to him. I look down at the globe, spinning it slowly.

"Two things which you seem not to have." I stand and start to walk, nowhere to in particular. "May I ask you a question?" I stop, turn to him. Look my brother in the eye. "What will it take to gain your loyalty?" Colton opens his mouth. I hold up my finger and take a few steps toward him. "You are loyal to me, aren't you?"

"Yes, Preeminence." I stand before him.

"Colton, you are a strong leader. You're ambitious, cunning. A talented Beta, all except for one thing." I look up at my ceiling. "What is it? I know you've said it before, used the phrase against myself several times. Carried it around like a motto, except for the one time it was truly necessary." I look back down at him. "Do you know which phrase I am speaking of?"

"The Society comes first," he mutters, so quaint I can barely hear.

"Could you speak up? I'm afraid I can't hear you."

"The Society comes first," he repeats, this time, louder. I walk around to my desk.

"Does it? Because to me, putting the Society first would involve sacrificing your happiness, your ambitions, for mine. Scratch that. All of your ambitions shall be mine. But time, and time again, my dear brother, you have failed me."

"So what, you're going to strip me of my position again?" I look up at him. He's making this easier than I thought, he knows the path I plan to follow.

"If that is what you wish. Beta, is that so?"

"No, Preeminence." I sit.

"Then prove it. Live up to your duties. Make the Society come first. Following my orders is one thing. My ambitions are another."

"How shall I do that, sir?" I lean back, putting on a smile which I hope hides the sickness I feel. He needs discipline. He needs to remember who's in charge.

"Vienna," I say simply.

"Excuse me?"

"There is a rebel at the Estate, Vienna Ronan. You may have heard of her. She shall be collected and brought to a cell, immediately. Or, you may prove where your loyalty lies, and resign as my Beta." Colton stands.

"Are you suggesting I subject my wife to torture?"

"If you are volunteering to commit to your duties firsthand, I cannot object. But, if you refuse, I know my Zeta and Digamma are just itching for some fresh blood down there." Colton lunges at me, but I stand, step out of the way, in time to ram my elbow into his back. He turns, and I push him against the wall, pinning him in place. "Careful," I whisper. "I'm Expired."

"I'll kill you."

"I'd like to see you try. I could just throw both of you into a cell. I'm sure she'd like some company." I throw him off the wall. "Twenty four hours. You shall announce your decision at the Senate meeting, or the choice is mine." I order Colton out of the room, then collapse in my chair. Either way, I've lost. I managed to hide the fact Moretti agreed to Gwen's offspring becoming heirs. She's the best Tresais the Society's ever had, and her son shall make an excellent Preeminence. But that doesn't make up for his betrayal, one that needed to be fixed, and this was the last card I had to draw.