Chapter Fourteen

Jonas

"You wanted to speak to me?" I look up from my bill and set it to the side.

"Yes, Beta," I say. "Please, come in." I motion to one of the chairs in front of my desk and wait as Colton sits down. I lean forward and wait for him to speak. When he doesn't, I lean back. "In the three years as my Beta, you have attempted to have me overthrown, deliberately disobeyed me numerous times, and now, we have you blatantly disregarding your duties. Again, may I add." I sigh. Threats aren't going to work. All the good ones have been used up. "How is your fiancèe?" I simply ask.

"Excuse me?"

"Elodie. I haven't seen her since your engagement. How is she?"

"Well. I spoke to her yesterday." He's lying through his teeth.

"And Vienna?"

"Brother, if..." I hold my finger up to him.

"Do you honestly believe I brought you in here without knowing exactly where you were? A guard notified me the second you left for Westertown. When were you going to tell me that you married her?" Coltons eyes are wide open. "You weren't, were you?" I smile, shaking my head. "Shall you tell Moretti, or shall I?"

"Five years, I've known her, Jonas. The closest thing that could come to love at first sight. I got your permission years ago; before you even met Iris. I'm the Beta. Why should I have to marry an Amoris, just because you didn't accept your fate?" I stand.

"She's a traitor, Colton! You shot her! She was exported to France! Do not blame me, because your girl chose hers."

"My wife, Jonas. She's my wife." Colton stands.

"And Iris is mine. I was never supposed to find love, but I did. And I watched as you, and Erik, and Bently, and all the other rebels and Order tried to kill her." I walk over to him. "For once in my life, I did something for myself. I didn't choose to sacrifice your happiness over mine. Fate did. I'm just abiding by it."

"What are you talking about?" I look down at the floor. It's about time he knew, the only way to get him to understand.

"I'm saying it was never my fate to marry an Amoris." Colton's eyes widen. The seed was planted in his head long ago by Erik and it's suddenly sprouted I lean on the edge of my desk.

"How long?" He asks. "How long!" I look down and close my eyes. He already knows the answer, even if he doesn't realize it. I watch as he sits, putting the pieces together. "Erik was right." Colton looks down and smiles. "And she knows. She's known this entire time, hasn't she. Every time we fought the rebels. When you were in the hospital. When she was shot." He stands and walks to the door, stopping himself from storming out as he touches the knob. "I'm supposed to be Preeminence, aren't I?" I look away, hearing the door slam behind him.