Chapter Forty-Five

Colton

"Brother, I can assure you," I say. "We will not leave your sight. If I am going to spend the next few years in a cell, I would like a day of sun." Jonas sighs. Noah starts chanting.

"Be-each! Be-each! Be-each!" Jonas sighs then turns to Iris.

"What would you like, my love?"

"To sit with you on the sand, walk across the boardwalk? I think it'd be fun."

"Fine. Bently, find the nearest beach. Clothed please." Iris and Thea's faces flush. Bently groans. About an hour later, after a quick shopping trip for swimsuits, beach supplies, and snacks, Bently parks in an almost empty lot. We get out, stretch, and set up our chairs in a line on the sand, myself in between Iris and Aiden. I take off my shirt; leaving my swim trunks, and lay my head back, soaking in the sun. Every time I close my eyes, I see her: my wife. The first time we met, with her hair in the moonlight, then on my bed laughing, the moment I fell in love. Then the time I almost proposed. And the last time I saw her before... then the memories change. Vienna, in my arms, covered in blood. She's been shot. Again, in my arms, my lips pressed to hers, then apart, moving into the words 'I hate you,' when I only hated myself. Finally, our saying goodbye at the airport, when I was certain I'd never see her again. But I won't let that happen this time. I can't lose them both, not like I'm losing Iris.

"You miss her?" Aiden asks. I keep my eyes closed, forcing myself to remember before. Dancing with Vienna, kissing her, loving her. I nod. "Thea almost left," he says. I open my eyes. The girls: Iris, Anna, and Thea play in the water, laughing. I don't remember the last time I saw Iris laugh. I don't know if I ever will again. It looks good on her.

"I doubt it was the same," I admit, closing my eyes.

"You're right. Thea did nothing wrong." I glare at him, then close my eyes for the third time. Aiden sighs. "A man, Tony, was hunting her. Obsessed over killing her. The day we met, only a few months ago, she had multiple broken ribs, a few fractured. I was an idiot and carried her up the stairs. I ended up breaking them again. Do you have a witness protection program?" I shake my head.

"If it's your Date, you're going to die. Nothing we can do about it. And otherwise, we frankly just don't care." Aiden sighs. If he doesn't like it here, he's free to leave. Actually, it's preferred.

"Thea had multiple lives, identities, before she met me. Just months before, Tony killed people close to her. Her best friend, an innocent security guard, maybe some bystanders. I was the only person she told the truth. She wanted to leave before he got too close. I wouldn't let her."

"What is your point, Mr. Parker?"

"A few weeks ago, I killed him. He kidnapped my brothers, Anna. Stabbed Thea, tried to slit her throat. My best friend was shot." I turn to him.

"Are you suggesting I attempt to kill my own brother?"

"No. I'm saying I understand. And that I'm sorry." I lean my head back again.

"I am too."