Chapter Twelve

Colton

I'm married. I laugh, pressing my lips to the woman I love. She's mine. It took five years, but she's finally mine, and I'm never letting her go. I look down at her hand in mine, her Calladah ring on its final position, with a new ruby band to match.

"I love you," I whisper.

"Shut up and kiss me." I do, letting myself travel down her neck. Someone dares to knock on the bedroom door. They're lucky if today's not their Date. I groan, then throw open the door.

"What?" I ask, freezing when I see my brother. "Jonas."

"Beta." I move to the side, trying to hide Vienna from his line of sight, or at the very least, her ring. "Care to explain to me why you've ignored your duties all day?" I look at the floor. I knew this was coming, but I thought I'd have time to figure out a lie first. "Vienna, would you care to explain?" I feel her walk up behind me, tucking her left arm around my back.

"Wedding planning," she says, resting her head on my shoulder. "Since he wasn't available yesterday, I thought I'd help."

"Is this true?" Jonas asks me. I look at Vienna, then to him.

"Yes, Preeminence." My brother rubs his temples, a motif he's been performing a lot lately.

"Meet Gwen in her office. She was gracious enough to perform your duties today. Now, if you'll excuse me. Vienna." Jonas turns away, walking towards his room. I close the door and lean against it. Where was I?