Chapter Fifty-One

Thea

"Roller skating?" Anna asks. I glance at Aiden. Iris shakes her head.

"Can't. I could fall."

"Paintballing?" We glare at Noah.

"You want to shoot my pregnant wife, who already has a target on her back, with a gun?" Jonas asks. Noah's face goes pale.

"It wouldn't be the first time..." Bently mumbles. Jonas glares at him. "Sorry, Preeminence." Iris rolls her eyes.

"There has to be something we could do," I say. "Spa day?"

"No," Colton and Aiden say in unison.

"How about a sport? One that doesn't involve me getting punched in the stomach." Iris asks.

"Like golf?" Colton sneers.

"I'm sure we could find a mini-golf course," Jonas says. "Thank you, brother."

***

Why did I think I, who is known to be not only clumsy but also directionally challenged, would be good at mini-golf? After the third hole of not even getting close to the target, Aiden has taken it upon himself to help me aim, even against Bently's accusations of cheating, as we are currently playing girls versus guys, ignoring the unevenness. Currently, Aiden stains behind me, hands wrapped around mine, walking me through how to properly swing a golf club. Or more accurately, move the long metal stick so it taps the ball and not my leg. I swing, and the ball lands next to the hole, which is better than I've done so far. Aiden and I walk back to the side, where the rest of our group is waiting. "Iris," I say. "You're up." She takes her club from Colton and sets herself up at the tee.

"Do you want a little help? "Jonas asks, wiping his hand on his jeans, and taking a page from Aiden's book, although Iris doesn't need it. She's hit straight holes in one. Iris smiles.

"I'd love some." Jonas goes to stand like how Aiden and I were a few seconds ago.

"Really, Jonas? You too?" Bently complains. "As Preemiencne, you should know the sanctity of the rules of mini-golf more than anyone." Jonas glares at him.

"And as Premminennce, I hereby decree that any attempt to flirt with my wife will be legal within the context of this game."

"Which one?" Bently murmurs.

"The one who could beat you up in a heartbeat, Digamma." Iris rolls her eyes. "Maybe I should let her."

"Are the two of you going to keep bickering or can I win this game?" She asks. Jonas kisses her cheek. Iris hits another hole in one. Anna and I give her high fives on the way back. Bently takes the tee.

"Cousin," Colton teases. "If you could get a hole in one? The girls are kicking our..." Bently glares at him. Colton puts his hands up in surrender. "Just a suggestion." Bently his the ball, it landing nowhere close to its target. "Parker, should we start on the next hole?" Aiden nods, kissing my cheek.

"Love you," he says to me before following Colton. "Noah, Preeminence, you coming?" The boys all walk away, leaving Anna, Iris, and I to listen to Bently's incoherent ramblings. I look at Anna, then we walk to join Iris on the bench.

"Bestie," I say.

"Hey!" I hear Noah yell.

"Can you really beat up Bently?" Anna asks. Iris smiles.

"It depends. Wouldn't be an easy fight for either of us."

"I'd win!" Bently yells.

"I' like to see you try. Wait, you have. I beat you in my sleep."

"It was dark."

"You had a knife." Colton walks over, pats Bently on the shoulder, and leads him towards the rest of the boys.

"Stop fraternizing with the enemy, cousin. Or at least think of clever enough comebacks so you don't look pathetic." Iris shakes her head, smiles.

"Tell me about home," she says. "Who am I yet to meet?"

"Julian," Anna says, smiling.

"Mason," I say.

"Char, and Chase."

"Jason and Jackson, Aiden's little brothers."

"Tell me about them." We do. The boys move farther and farther away, forgetting that we're supposed to be playing with them. Anna and I recount numerous stories, some even I've never heard before. After a while, the boys have finished playing, so we all gather back in the car, arguing over what to do tomorrow.