Chapter Thirty-Seven

Jonas

"Digamma," I say. "If you answer that I swear to you you'll wish it's your Date." Bently checks his phone, then sighs.

"It's Gwen." I look at him, then back to the road, drumming my fingertips on the wheel.

"Proceed." Bently answers the phone.

"Hello?" He asks. "You're... where's the Princess? And Ms. Ronen?"

"Vienna?" Colton asks, panicked. I close the partition separating us without a glance, ignoring his pleas not to. Bently swears.

"Okay, yes, I'll tell the Preeminence. Thank you, Tresais." He slips his phone back into his pocket.

"What is it?" I ask. Bently looks behind him, at the closed partition, then back to the road in front of us. He shifts in his seat.

"Rebel attack. Unknown if in direct association to Vienna Ronen. The princess and the remaining Order are safe." I run my hand down the wheel, a lump appearing in my throat. If Iris and Colton... I sigh.

"Say it, Digamma."

"Say what?"

"What you're thinking."

"I'd rather not, Preeminence." I look at him. He lowers his head.

"Proper procedure would be to contain any known links to the rebels." I sigh. I am Preeminence. I must act like it. If Vienna had any correlation, I must arrest those helping her as traitors. Those who helped her escape.

"Allow me until tomorrow?" I ask.

"Yes, sir." At the next exit, I pull into a parking space, step out of the car, open the back door.

"Iris," I say, looking down at the floor, not the pairs of eyes staring at me from inside the vehicle. The Society comes first, I remind myself. "Come with me."

"Jonas, what..." I shake my head.

"Please, love." I hold out my hand. She takes it, and I lead her into the passenger seat, as Bently switches to the back. When everyone is resettled, I drive back onto the road.

"Jonas, what..." She tries again. I stare at the horizon in the distance.

"The was an attack at the estate. Rebels." She's silent.

"You can't possibly believe..."

"What am I supposed to believe, Iris? There hasn't been news of rebels for over a year. Less than a week after you and Colton break Vienna free, there's an attack. No doubt with myself as the target."

"Vienna wouldn't..."

"What do you mean 'Vienna wouldn't?' She's a known traitor. Vienna wouldn't what? Betray you? Like she wouldn't betray Colton? Again? It's simple. Colton learned of my Date. He was angry. He tells Vienna. She escapes, with the help of A, whom she met during her time with your uncle. They, together, round up any rebels we happened to miss or recruit new ones, and with their new knowledge confirm the rumors Erik spread, and plan an attack for my assassination."

"I'll talk to..."

"You will do no such thing. I'm trying to save you, Iris. You will not sit in a cell until your Date. It's already come and went, you'll be dead the second we reach the Estate."

"And Colton? Vienna? A?" I sigh, turning on the radio.

"I truly hope Vienna had nothing to do with this attack, for the sake of all involved."