Chapter Nineteen

Iris

"Shouldn't you be taking it easy?" He asks, being the absolute last person I want to see right now, or ever. I throw a few more punches at the bag, which may or may not look like Colton's face at the moment.

"Shouldn't you be getting your daughter drunk?" I focus back on the bag.

"She's decided to go sober, actually," Z says.

"I'm glad. I wish I wasn't the same."

"Do you want to talk?" I stop and stare at him.

"To you? No."

"Well, you look ready to kill. I just thought you could use a friendly face." Z turns to the door.

"Wait!" I yell. He stops, turning back to me. I take a deep breath. "Sometimes I miss when my biggest problem was you, and not who would be the mother of the Societies heir."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, back then it would have been your problem too."

"Yeah, on a flashcard." Z takes a seat on the mat. I sit down next to him, leaving a fair amount of space. We may be at the point where I'm practically helping to raise his daughter, and give heart to hearts, but I don't think I will ever be ready to sit close to him again.

"Is this about Jonas and Colton's meeting with Moretti?" I nod. Jonas is talking to his father at this very moment. Then, they get a visit to the principal's office. At least if Jonas dies this time, I'll know the killer. Z leans back. "Iris Blackwood. It has a nice ring to it." I hit his arm.

"It's Jonas' last name, not yours." He smiles.

"I know. I never would have asked you to marry me." I glare at him. "You've changed since then. You're not the same person I knew from the orphanage. You're strong. Sophisticated. A true ruler. I can see why Jonas is proud to have you as his queen." I look down at the mat. "Everything will be okay. I may not know the specifics, but I do know if you're even a fraction as good with your baby as you are with Cassia, that child will have the most amazing mother in the world." Z stands. "Just don't let her cousin Z babysit unless you want a bathtub to be your baby's crib."

"I wasn't planning on it."