Chapter Thirteen

Iris

I make my way out of the bathroom, smiling as Jonas walks over to me. "My love," he whispers, wrapping his arms around my waist. I do the same around his neck.

"How was your day?" I ask. He leans his head back.

"Let's not talk about that. I can strangle my Order tomorrow. Tonight..." Jonas leads me to the bed. "Is for you." We sit across from each other. Jonas takes the lid off a tray between us.

"You did not!" I say.

"I thought you might be hungry. And these have always made you feel better." I grab a blondie and take a bite. Jonas does the same. "And these..." A bouquet of purple and yellow flowers appears in his hand after he bends down. "Are for you."

"Remind me how I lived without you again?"

"I'll never know," he says, a smile forming on his lips.

***

The next morning runs smoothly, the routine of the Estate helping me through the day. With the boys in their endless array of meetings, I've decided to spend some time with the non-rebels, taking advantage of girls other than my sister-in-law around. We're in my old bedroom, where Anna is staying, and doing what I'm told 'normal' teenage girls do: talking about boys. And by boys, I mean murders.

"He did not!" Anna yells, grabbing a pillow to hold onto for moral support.

"I assure you, he did."

"How many times have people tried to kill you?" I attempt to count on my fingers, before giving up.

"At least ten, I'm sure. Thankfully it's calmed down since my wedding." Anna lays down, taking a bite of my leftover blondies.

"These are amazing," she says with her mouthful.

"I know." I lay down on a pillow. "What about you? Tell me a story."

"What do you want to hear?" Thea asks. She's been quiet, and I can tell something's bothering her.

"Anything. Who was that supermodel you're always around?" Kaitlyn rolls her eyes, sitting at the desk, too cool for those partying on the bed. She even refused to try a blondie.

"Aiden's not that cute," Thea mutters. Anna and I stare at her, then each other, refusing to ignore it.

"Yeah, okay," I say. "C'mon. I told you about the boys in my life. I saw the way he looks at you."

"Fine. Yeah. He's great. Saved my life twice."

"It was like an enemies to lovers fanfic," Anna says.

"What's a fanfic?" Thea and Anna gasp, then practically squeal. Kaitlyn groans and storms out of the room. She should meet Gwen.