Chapter Nine

Jonas

The door opens and closes as I walk through before sitting in a chair placed before the tablet and screen. It's improper not to stand, but for him, I can't. It takes all my strength just to speak. I'm lost in my thoughts when the call appears, almost too lost to answer it in time. I press the green button, and a man who was once almost a stranger stands before me.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey." I meet his face, to something unexpected. A smile. Happiness. An emotion I haven't seen on him since before Molly. Even with Iris, there was always a hint of despair. I wonder if it was just because I was around? "Hi," I say again, not being able to help but smile too. "How are you?" I ask when he waits to speak.

"I met someone."

"What?"

"She's smart and funny, and..."

"Erik, that's amazing. You look happy."

"I am. This was a good choice. Moving here."

"I'm glad. I, um," I take a deep breath, wishing my wife was here with me. "I have some news too." His face drops, reverting back to the Erik I know and am trying desperately to love.

"Iris?" I nod.

"She's pregnant." His face goes pale, before returning to the smile from earlier, but still recognizable as himself.

"Let's hope she doesn't turn out like her mother than." Oh, how he's lucky to be far out of my reach. Another deep breath.

"Yes." I manage to say, my voice filled with warning. "Lets." A faint knock on the door causes us both to jump. The door cracks open just enough to see it's Iris.

"May I?" She asks quietly. I look at Erik, who looks as if it's his Date.

"Iris?" He asks. I nod before standing to take her hand.

"Are you sure?" I whisper.

"No. Not even close. But I'm here." I lead her to the chair, and stand behind it, staring at the screen. Erik still looks like a ghost.

"I... Iris." She picks the hem of her dress. "I... congratulations." She runs her hand up my arm, pulling me closer, and I wrap them around her in a hug from behind. I place a kiss atop her head.

"Thank you," she says, laughs. "Amoria. You couldn't even stay here for me, but yet you choose to live there."

"You chose..."

"This is still about Jonas and me? I was a replacement, Erik. I was never going to be good enough for you. I love him. You know that."

"I'm not here because of you. You've changed too. Are you telling me that the Iris I saved would willingly have the Preeminece's heir?"

"Erik, that's enough," I snap. "What the hell is wrong with you? Did you not just say you were with someone not even two minutes ago? So what, this new girl is just another replacement?"

"Don't call her that!" He yells. "Iris, it was nice to see you." The screen goes black.