Chapter Twenty-Eight

Thea

Aiden holds my hand, which is the only thing keeping me from shaking. We're back in a cell, and we've been here for hours. After lunch yesterday, the Estate went on lockdown after a traitor had escaped. Anyone not in the Society was either told to leave or brought to a cell. We were assured everything was all right, and that we should be out soon.

Aiden slides down to the floor, and I follow, resting my head on his shoulder. Every day is worthy of formal wear here, which tends to clash with the dirt floor I slept on. "We're going to be okay," he says, playing with my fingers. I nod.

"I know. It's just something I heard. Rebel attacks?"

"I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, Thea. You're safe here, with me." He kisses my forehead. Noah fake gags in the corner. I wish I had something to throw at him. I touch my necklace, the one Aiden gave me for Christmas, before deciding against it.

"You know as well as I do Iris should be by my side!" Anna and I exchange a glance. The voice comes from down the corridor.

"Colton, you know as well as I do that's not going to happen. Please, don't make this worse."

"Bently..."

"Colton, please." The sound of metal scraping at the ground echos through the dungeon. Footsteps.

"Your gun," another voice says. The metal echos again, then more footsteps. Quiet. The faint sound of someone crying.