Chapter Fifty-Eight

Iris

Jonas takes his arm in mine, leading me through the balloon archways leading into the gym of a high school. When the students see us, they stop, stare. Bently with Anna follows behind us, Aiden with Thea behind them, leaving Colton and Noah trailing behind; girls in their dresses, boys all looking dashing in their new suits.

One glare from Jonas causes the crowd to part, and the DJ to play a slow song. One from a former member of a popular boy band about his wedding. Jonas moves his hands to my waist, and mine behind his neck, pulling me close. The six of us dance, ignoring the whispers of the crowd, which quiet whenever Colton, stationed at the doorway with Noah, sends a glare their way.

It feels nice, not having to worry about the choreographed routine mandatory at one of the Society's balls, and just focus on the feel of Jonas' body close to mine. I listen as my husband whispers the chorus, every word his and true. To my right, Aiden spins Thea under his arm, and when she comes back to him, they smile, laugh.

After another verse, the song ends, and Jonas bows to me, to which I curtsey. The DJ puts back on the upbeat music at Jonas' signal, and Noah joins us on the dance floor, along with some of the more daring students. A few songs later, almost everyone is back on the floor, and another slow song begins to play. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Colton, sitting alone at a table, glaring at anyone who tries to approach him. Being myself, I give a kiss to Jonas, before walking over to Mr. Grumpypants.

"Hey, want to dance" I ask, holding out my hand.

"As I told the past five women: no."

"But it's my last chance to dance with the second-best dancer at the Society." He quirks an eyebrow, something he will always have over me.

"Second? Who's the first?" I smile. He rolls his eyes. I shake my hand.

"Colton Blackwood, as queen of this great nation, I hereby order you to dance with me."

"You order me?"

"Before the song ends." He stands, and I lead us to the dance floor, where Jonas has temporarily relieved Anna of his cousin. Colton puts his hands on my waist, and I mine around his neck, resting my head on his chest. We lean back and forth, not worrying about timing or posture.

"What's wrong?" I ask while he spins me like Aiden and Thea did earlier. I return my head back to his chest.

"I'm sure you can guess, my dear Iris."

"Vienna, or me?"

"Right now? Vienna. When this song is over? Both."

"One at a time." He spins me again. "Vienna." Out of habit, our hands land back into how they do for a waltz. I don't mind, it's easier to talk. Colton sighs.

"In France, that first night Jonas was back? When I volunteered to take watch? Vienna put on some music, and we danced like this. Like we were at a prom."

"You miss her?" I ask after another spin, my head back to his chest. He nods. "And your second problem..."

"In less than twenty-four hours you will be living a life I could never imagine."

"I'll be normal." Colton laughs.

"You, Iris Blackwood, could never be normal." He kisses the top of my head. "You're far too good for that." The song ends, and after the boy and curtsy, Colton tries to walk back to his table. I grab his arm.

"Tonight, we are. Dance with us."

"Iris, I don't dance."

"I don't take no for an answer. Dance!" Anna and Thea grab my hands, pulling me over into the circle they've created. A few songs later, it's one of those dances where it tells you the steps in the song. I, Anna, Thea, and Noah spend half the song getting the Blackwood men and Aiden to not only participate, but also "be quiet and listen to the song because it tells you!" Then, the four of us spend the next half of the song giving up and letting them figure it out while we have fun. Unsurprisingly, they do not figure it out. Jonas tries his best though, and the eight of us jump, laugh, and dance until midnight.