Chapter Eight

Thea

I wake up to the wondrous sound of banging on my door. Okay, it's just knocking, but for four in the morning, it sounds a lot like banging.

"What Mom?" I moan, pulling a pillow over my head to block out the blinding light coming from my window. Wait, why is there blinding sunlight at four in the morning? I sit up, immediately remembering where I am. It wasn't a dream. I am actually trapped in some sort of castle-mansion run by Aiden's evil twin and Aiden's evil twins' older brother.

"Thea, it's me," the knocking continues.

"Hold on!" I begrudgingly leave the warmth of the bed to open the door. Aiden stands on the other side looking handsome as ever. Okay, maybe leaving my bed wasn't so bad, although I could just lead him to it. My knight in shining armor says good morning with a kiss.

"I talked to the Preeminence, who told me that breakfast starts in twenty."

"What time is it?" I ask.

"A little before eight. I wanted to let you sleep in, now that you're safe."

"We were locked in a dungeon yesterday, Aiden. Safe is not a word I would use."

"Fine. Running from a psychopathic serial killer. Better?" I let Aiden into the room, before closing the door. He makes himself useful by making my bed, while I take the formal dress Iris gave me last night into the bathroom.

"Speaking of, what do you think happened to your brothers?" I zip up the green dress, then pick up the new toothbrush waiting for me on the counter.

"I would hope that after half of our friends randomly disappeared into thin air before class even started, Julian was smart enough to pick them up from school," Aiden says from the bedroom. I finish brushing my teeth, then grab the hairbrush.

"Let's just say I did not expect my first day to end before I even got in the building."

"Didn't that happen the last time too?" I peak my head into the bedroom to glare at him.

"And whose fault was that?"

"What knight in shining armor doesn't break a few of his damsel's ribs every now and then?" I roll my eyes and quickly apply the basic necessities of makeup before exiting the bathroom and into Aiden's arms. "You ready?" He asks me.

"To have my first five-star breakfast in a castle with the king, queen, and prince? Good thing I'm normal now."

"Thea Kennedy, you will never be normal."

***

Aiden and I walk into the dining room, also known as a creepier version of the Great Hall from that wizarding series I liked as a kid. Five long tables run the length of the room, Jonas at the head of the one in the center, with Iris at his right, and Colton to his left. Next to Iris and Colton is a girl, an empty seat, and a lot of men. Jonas stands and says something to Iris, before walking over to Aiden and me.

"Good morning," he says. "I hope you slept well."

"Yes..."

"Preeminence," he corrects me. "I am afraid my table is reserved for my Order, but there are some spots behind Iris you are welcome to take. I have some meetings to attend to, but I wish to speak to you and your friends before lunch."

"Yes, Preeminence."

"I shall have someone come get you from your rooms when the time comes. Until then." Jonas turns, walking back towards his table. We follow him, walking to ours. The table is lined with piles upon piles of fruit, pancakes, and various breakfast meats, all of which look delicious. I take some food, waving our friends over as they arrive, which only causes a few more glares than I'd like. Kaitlyn is last, looking even more high maintenance than normal with the addition of her royal blue formal dress.

"Good morning," she says, taking a seat next to Anna.

"Morning," Noah says with his mouth full. "These are the best pancakes I've ever had." Aiden rolls his eyes.

"The Preeminence wants to talk with us before lunch," he says sternly. "No doubt about who we are and why we're here. What are we going to tell him?"

"What does everyone remember?" Anna asks. "I know we were in the parking lot, talking, and then we just woke up on that mountain."

"Dare waz da 'ite," Noah says with another mouthful of pancakes.

"What?" Kaitlyn asks, disgusted. Noah swallows his breakfast.

"There... was... the... light," he repeats, drawing out his words as if it was our vocabulary and not his manners causing the problem. All of us, with the exception of Noah, put down our forks.

"What light?" Aiden asks with his signature glare.

"There was a purple light. I asked what it was, but then we woke up on the mountain. I don't think you guys heard me."

"No shit, we didn't hear you. Why didn't you say this, I don't know... when we were trapped in a cell?" A few people in the room look our way, Colton being one of them but carry on their conversations. Aiden leans forward towards our group, returning to his calm, collected self. "Do you think that's enough? Saying we saw a light?"

"I don't see the problem," Kaitlyn adds. "We're staying in a mansion with free clothes, free food, and no school. I could get used to this."

"We know," Aiden says, sending a glare her way. Kaitlyn spears a slice of banana with her fork and eats it.

"Noah saw the light after we were civil with each other" Anna says. "That was new."

"So, what, the universe did this to teach us a lesson about the power of friendship?" I ask.

"Or that we're better off as enemies."

"No one's denying that," Kaitlyn adds. Anna nods. I take a deep breath.

"Kaitlyn, all year we've sought to make each other's lives a living hell. You hate me. I hate you. Look, something in common. As you said, we're in a giant mansion, with free clothes, and free food. We're going to find a way home, and by the end of it, we're going to find a way to like each other. Now eat your breakfast. And Noah, manners please."