Chapter Twenty-Four

Iris

Jonas lays in our bed, asleep, his bedside lamp still on. I close the door as quietly as possible, but somehow he still manages to wake.

"Iris?" He asks, his voice groggy.

"Jonas, I'm sorry I woke you." He sits up in the bed.

"There's no need to apologize. What's wrong, my love?" I close my eyes, feign a smile.

"Nothing." I walk into the bathroom, grabbing a makeup wipe. I hear Jonas get out of bed, then wrap his arms around my waist from behind. He nestles his chin on my shoulders, still looking and sounding half asleep. Ignoring the butterflies in my stomach, I push past him, grabbing my nightgown. I reenter the bathroom after kicking him out, then return, sitting on the bed. Jonas takes my hand.

"Iris, what's wrong?"

"How could you?" I ask, not meeting his eyes.

"What do you... You talked to Colton." I nod. The leftover sleep has disappeared in his voice.

"He's your brother, Jonas. How could you lock up Vienna?"

"He needed to learn his place, Iris. It worked perfectly well the last time." His eyes widen. I stand. He didn't mean to let that slip. He was hiding it from me.

"You've done this before?!" Jonas rubs his temples.

"After you were shot. When I revoked his position." I turn away from him, tears wanting to escape my eyes. "He tried to kill you!"

"So you tried to hurt Vienna?"

"It was an eye for an eye." I wipe the tears from my face, thankful I removed my mascara, and head for the bedroom door. "Where are you going?"

"Away from you."