Chapter Twenty-Six

Jonas

This morning was the first time in over a year I woke up alone. It's almost lunch, and as I canceled the majority of my meetings to avoid my Order, I haven't seen Iris nor my brother all day. Gwen has tried her best at keeping me sain, but I'm about to crack. No matter how much he disobeys me, Colton's my little brother. I don't want to see him getting hurt.

To ignore their absence, I've spent the day getting to know the teenagers from the United States, which included speaking to Mr. Parker about the United States' government. Apparently, his father once ran for senator but is now in prison for attempted murder, upon other things. Democracies: I don't understand them.

I now lead the group to a supply closet filled with exercise attire and bathing suits. I have been informed they would like to go swimming. We pass by Iris on the way to the pool, who diverts her gaze. Somehow, I need to make things right.

"Iris," I call after her. She turns to face me. I link our hands. "Our friends from away have decided to go swimming today. Would you care to join us?" I can't swim because of my Mark, but I can rest my legs in the water. Iris looks away.

"I have a meeting with the Beta. He would like my help on an urgent matter." I take a step back. She's on his side.

"Yes," I say slowly. "Of course. I shall see you for lunch. I requested the chef prepare blondies for dessert." Iris nods. She turns to leave. I pull her close, staring into her chocolatey brown eyes. "Moleve qui soleil." Iris looks at the teenagers.

"I love you too, Jonas." She walks away.