Chapter Thirty-Eight

Colton

My phone starts to ring. I look down. Unknown number. We've stopped at a park, to stretch our legs, and give Jonas and Bently a chance to call into work. Work. The Society. "Hey, Jonas, let's take a walk?" Iris asks. He looks at me, then follows her away, their hands intertwined. I answer the phone.

"Vienna?" I ask.

"Colton," she says. My breath catches at the sound of her voice. Jonas didn't tell me what Bently's phone call was about, but from what I gathered, it wasn't good.

"Where are you?" I ask. "I'll come to you."

"No, Colton. A told me about Jonas' threat. You have a country to run."

"I lost my position, Vienna. I can't lose you too." She sighs.

"How close is he?" I look up at my brother and Iris. They've stopped about twenty feet away, within the shade from under a tree. Jonas stares at me.

"He can't hear us. He's watching though."

"Then I can't tell you." I press my fingers to my temples.

"Vienna, please."

"That's enough, brother," Jonas orders. Iris tries to grab his arm, but he walks over; Iris following. He holds out this hand to me.

"I love you," I say to Vienna before hesitantly handing her over. Jonas puts the phone on speaker. Whatever he's about to do, he wants me to hear.

"Hello, Ms. Ronen," he says, a hint of mischief in his voice. He's enjoying this, my pain. My own brother.

"Pr.... Preeminence," my wife says.

"If you won't tell my dear brother your location, why don't you try telling me?"

"Jonas!" Iris snaps. He holds his finger to her.

"I would like nothing less than for this to happen the easy way. The outcomes for everyone involved will be a lot better if you cooperate. Don't take everyone down with you. Please." Vienna is silent. "I'm sure Colton has already told you about his position being stripped. What about how he spent some time in a cell? Do you want the same to happen for Iris? For A? Brydan? Vienna, the attack on the Estate, did you partake in it?" I stare at him. The what?

"Jonas, I don't..." Iris grabs his arm. Jonas ignores her.

"Vienna. Where are you? I have everything I need to get the information the hard way. I know neither of us wants that. The stakes have been raised. My family's safety is in jeopardy. Tell me your location." Iris tries to walk away, but Jonas pulls her closer. He bows his head, looking at his shoes, and lowers his voice. "Vienna, unless I know it, Colton and Iris Blackwood will be arrested before the sun rises tomorrow morning for treason." He closes his eyes, as a tear rolls down his cheek. "They will not be shown mercy."