Chapter Forty-One

Jonas

When I wake, I'm holding my love close, her fast asleep. I twist a lock of her hair, feeling her chest rise and fall, savoring every one of her breaths, knowing each one falls closer to her last. I kiss the top of her head, before leaning my head back on the pillow. On the nightstand, my phone vibrates. I sigh, reaching to pick it up. Three text messages were received last night. One from my mother, another from Brydan, and a third from Gwen. I read the one from my mother first.

"Good morning, love. I want you to know your father and I are safe. Where are you? When are you coming home?" I rub my eyes.

"Arizona," I type, send. "Should reach California today. Then make our way back. A few more days?" I switch to the message Gwen sent.

"All rebels have been rounded up and questioned. Does not seem to relate to Vienna. Planning for weeks." I take a deep breath and look down at Iris. She stirs, before snuggling back into my chest. I plant another kiss on her head. I will do whatever I can to save you, mi amor.

"Thank you, Tresais." I open Brydan's.

"Jonas, can we talk?"

"Yes, give me a few minutes, if you're up." I know Iris said he only knows as much as Colton, but this once, I hope he's in deeper. I could use information, and he would be the one to give it. I put my phone back onto the nightstand, causing Iris's eyes to slowly flutter open with my movement.

"Good morning, my love," I whisper.

"Jonas." Her eyes close again. I could lay here forever. But alas, I have a country to run.

"We need to wake. Or at least move so I can make a call."

"You can make it here."

"It's to Brydan." Her eyes snap open, but then she relaxes, closing her eyes again, holding me tighter.

"I don't care. I'm not moving."

"I didn't want you to." I give her a kiss, before reaching for my phone. I dial his number.

"Hello?" He asks, voice still groggy from sleep. I look at the clock. It's almost noon where he's at.

"You wished to speak to me?"

"Yeah, one sec." His voice is back to normal. He says something, presumably to A, and then a door closes. "Yeah, hi."

"What is it?" I ask. Brydan pauses.

"It's about Vienna. I heard about the attack on the Estate. It wasn't her." I rub the leftover sleep from my eyes.

"How do you know?" Another pause.

"Hello?" Vienna. I sit up, ignoring Iris's complaint.

"You're at Brydan's?" I ask. Iris sits up too, confused, and afraid. I hate that it's me she's afraid of. "We checked there the day you escaped."

"I wasn't here then. I was at one of Erik's old safe houses."

"But you are now."

"Yes," she hesitates.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I wanted to say I'm sorry. I didn't help plan the attack, but I do know who did. There's no point in coming after me, I won't be here when you come." I rub my eyes. "Can you pass on a message?"

"Why don't you tell me in person?"

"Tell Colton I love him. I always will. And tell him I said goodbye." The call ends.

***

"Track the call and text from Brydan's phone. Send forces to his house, block off the roads. Not just main, side too."

"Yes, Preemienncne," Gwen says. I cover the phone's speaker.

"Iris, where was Vienna supposed to be? You seemed surprised that she was at Brydan's." She hesitates. "Iris, please."

"One of Erik's safehouses. We picked it at random. Connecticut, I think." I put the phone back to my ear.

"Tresisas, check Erik's safehouses, all of them. Iris said Vienna is supposed to be at the one in Connecticut." I end the call as Iris wraps me tight in a hug from behind, burying her face into my back. "Why couldn't you tell me that before there was a target on your back?" She loosens her grip, letting me turn and face her. Iris looks up at me.

"Is there still?" I kiss her on the forehead, bringing her closer.

"I don't know."