Chapter Seventeen

Iris

"And his number was in your contacts?" Vienna asks.

"The first one," Thea says, her cheeks blushing. "Iris, how did you two meet?" I hear the bedroom door open, and a pair of arms wrap around me, planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"Oh you know," Jonas says. "The knight in shining armor came to save her. No big deal." I swat him away.

"That was someone else. Jonas barged into the room demanding to speak to the guy I was with. Plus he gave me a major headache."

"He did not!" Thea and Anna say. Jonas rolls his eyes. "But I did save your life."

"After I saved yours. Twice." Someone knocks on the door. Vienna practically jumps.

"Um... I'll get it," she says. I turn my head to see Colton stand in the doorway, looking somehow both more casual and dressed up. Vienna gives him a kiss before Colton guides her behind him.

"Iris," he says. "Preeminence."

"Colton, what do you think you're doing?" Jonas asks. I attempt to raise an eyebrow, but Jonas shakes his head.

"We're just gonna..." Thea slowly stands up, off the bed.

"Yeah..." Anna follows her out the door, as Colton and Vienna let them pass.

"I am taking my wife out on a date; if that's okay with you." Jonas stands and crosses his arms. His what now?

"It's not."

"Iris, can you please tell..."

"You can leave her out of this."

"Jonas, what's..." Jonas holds a finger out to me, before pointing it back at Colton.

"Beta, she's a traitor. She was exiled. By your request. The other option was torture. I let her back here for you because you helped save Iris, but that does not erase her crimes. She's a rebel!"
"So was Iris!" Jonas takes a step closer to the door.

"You know as well as I do that's not the same. Iris was trained as a rebel. She didn't choose to become one."

"She was going for the same book, brother. What if I shot her instead?" Jonas takes a final step toward Colton, their bodies almost touching.

"Are we really back to the killing Iris game? Really?"

"Enough!" I yell. Jonas takes a step back, eyes locked with Colton's. "Can somebody please tell me what's going on?"

"Your friend here deliberately went behind my back and married Vienna. Not only is she not an Amoris, but she's also a known enemy to the Society, which Colton supposedly rules."

"Supposedly?" Colton asks. Jonas grabs a fistful of Colton's shirt.

"I've taken your position once, I can take it again."

"You must be forgetting whose position it truly is."

"Boys!" I yell. He did not just say what I think he said.

"Not now, Iris." My husband adds. Excuse me?

"Jonas? Last time I checked, the whole 'me being the leader' thing from France was never revoked. Which means I am in charge of both of you, who clearly need an adult. So get in here, now!" Jonas lets go of Colton's shirt, and Colton whispers something to Vienna, who nods before walking away. Colton slams the door on his way in. "Explain!" I yell.