Chapter Thirty-Six

Iris

I don't know who's eaten more waffles, me or Noah. We're waiting for Anna and Thea to come down still, so I get to listen to the 'who is forced to listen to Bently today' argument. Since Colton suffered through him yesterday, Jonas will get the pleasure today, meaning I will be seated in the back. Jonas isn't happy about this. Nevertheless, he agrees, then goes to the front desk to check out. I'm left to keep company to the boys. Well, Bently and Noah. Colton and Aiden seem pretty happy entertaining each other. Seriously, is Aiden just Colton if he went to high school? Bently's phone starts to ring. He groans, and leaves the breakfast table. I help myself to a strawberry when I see Anna and Thea leave the elevator. Jonas walks up behind me.

"You ready?" He asks. I nod.

***

Another day, another car ride. Why was I craving one of these a few days ago? After about an hour, Colton slides into the seat next to mine. He nudges my side, but I continue to look out the window. "Hi," I say.

"Hi. How are you feeling today?" I look at him, then shake my head. Back to the window.

"Tired. Sore." He leans down.

"Stop hurting your Mama," he whispers, before smiling at me. I roll my eyes, then rest my head on his shoulders.

"Yeah, that's your uncle's job." I rub my stomach.

"Actually, he retired."

"Did he?" Colton flicks my arm. I glare at him. He glances up at Jonas, then back down at me, lowering his voice. "Did she say anything?" He asks.

"A will talk to her. She's already explained the... situation." Colton places his hand over mine.

"Did you tell her everything?" I shake my head.

"No. Not about you. Just how..." I look at Jonas.

"When do you think I can talk to her?"

"Soon. I promise."