Chapter Thirty

Colton

I know enough about the Estate's schedule to know it's around five o'clock. By the time I assume Jonas left his office last night, A and Vienna had set out on their journey, to a destination unknown by me. She's gone. After my interrogation, during which they learned nothing, Bently refused to have anything to do with my situation, still not over his time in France, and has taken over my duties related to the civilians. Zeke has come down a few times, but as he's always been more loyal to myself than the Preeminence, he might as well bring down a bottle of whiskey and a television. I do wish I had a mattress instead of the filthy stone floor though. The screams are coming closer, so I know someone will come to me soon to ask where Vienna is, who helped her escape, and about fifty other questions either I don't know, or they already have the answer to. Today, I get a surprise. Along with my dear cousin Zeeree, I get the pleasure of seeing my brother. Zeke opens the metal gate.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I ask, not bothering to stand. Jonas leans against the wall.

"I'm not here to ask you anything. Iris has informed me you had nothing to do with the plan, nor the escape, other than packing her bags."

"So I assume she'll be down in a minute?"

"Careful, khaleedi. It was under her request your punishment isn't worse."

"Why are you here, brother, if not to question me? Just to soak in that she's gone?"

"To let you out. Get up."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you wish to see Vienna again?" I raise an eyebrow.

"More than anything."

"Help us find her, and I will contemplate granting her a pardon." I stand.

"What game are you trying to play here?" He turns to Zeke.

"Zeta, please excuse us." Zeke nods and turns down the hall. Jonas walks to me, fixing the buttons on his sleeves.

"There's no game here, Colton. I wanted to test your loyalty. You've failed. I had no intention of punishing her. I still don't. Since her betrayal, she's been shot, exported to France, and now, the honor or burden of our surname. It seems as if you'd punished her enough." I shove him against the wall.

"Don't you dare blame her troubles on me. For the past three years, you've been asking where my loyalty lands. Expecting me to decide between my position and my girl. This time, it fell with her, just like Iris is yours."

"Colton..."

"No, Preeminence. Iris is Expired. I tried to perform my duties and lost my position for it. I have spent weeks trying to save her from one threat or another. And if not her, then you. Everything I have done was a sacrifice to you or the Order. And what are my thanks? I've been stripped of my rank twice, the love of my life gone."

"A love who is a known enemy to our family."

"Yes, because she's the only one who wants to see you in your grave."

"Enjoy sleeping on the floor again, brother." And with that, he is gone.