7. Chapter (The Torment of One's Mind)

The majordomo, Lafferty, was quietly humming a tune as he approached the partially ajar door. As soon as he caught sight of the young Marquess's silhouette, he immediately fell silent and began to tread softly, for he knew all too well that Travis St. Arcey was a dour and ill-tempered fellow towards anyone who ventured too close. Among the household staff, rumours abounded that a certain Lady Eliza Price, with whom he had once been closely associated, was the cause of this changed disposition. Lafferty considered it plausible, despite the fact that three months had passed since her wedding to Lord Gray. However, he attached more significance to his Lordship's hostility towards the assault that had occurred at his father's cottage, or perhaps some other secret that had emerged since then.

From what he had gleaned, Travis believed that the attempt on his life had been orchestrated by his own mother, and ever since, the two of them had been unable to stand each other's presence. Lafferty was also aware that the Dowager-Marchioness didn't appear to be overly distressed by this separation, or at least, she didn't reveal it, given that she had a young paramour to keep her bed warm. And so, it was Lafferty's responsibility to leave a window slightly ajar on the ground floor and ensure that no one would inadvertently wander down the corridor in Corinne's wing during a certain hour.

This time, he aimed to sidestep any potential confrontation with the Marquess. The evening was drawing near, and for once this week, he longed to retire early.

"Lafferty, come hither for a moment," echoed from the study, to which the butler muttered a quiet yet colourful oath.

"How may I be of service, my Lord?" majordomo inquired with a courteous demeanour as he halted at the desk.

Marquess St. Arcey was in the midst of composing a letter when he directed his piercing green-brown eyes, framed by the encroaching shadow of dark circles, toward the butler. His countenance bore the unruly sprawl of a beard that seemed to defy grooming, while his lengthy locks cascaded gracefully onto his shoulders, rendering him a portrait of dishevelled seclusion. Good Lord, you appear more at home with birds and woodland creatures than in the refined circles of society, the butler mused.

"I perceive you're in rather high spirits," remarked the Marquess with a stern tone. "Is everything in readiness for the upcoming week? I am bound for the estates and will be unable to tend to any issues that may arise here."

Lafferty cleared his throat.

"Fear not, my Lord. With my organizational prowess, even the mice in our household adhere to a well-structured regimen."

Travis knitted his brows. "If there are mice scurrying about in this house, it is your solemn duty, sir, to see to their timely eradication."

Lafferty couldn't help but think that with such a dour disposition and a woeful lack of humour, Lord Travis was more likely to exterminate all living creatures in his vicinity, yet he restrained the urge to let even a hint of a smile escape at the notion.

"My lord, I meant it in jest, of course."

However, the visage of the nobleman remained stern, making it abundantly clear that Lafferty's humour, much like his previous attempts, had fallen flat and was likely to do so in the future.

"Have we received a fresh shipment of provisions?" Travis inquired suddenly.

Lafferty drew in a measured breath before responding.

"I shall verify the matter with the kitchen, my lord."

"And what of Miss Tabitha's replacement? You are aware that she departs to serve another family in but four days."

"It is currently under consideration, my Lord."

Travis arched an inquisitive eyebrow. The majordomo had not a scintilla of doubt that his lord found his answers less than satisfactory.