11. Chapter (Farewell And Until We Meet Again)

When Arden gently rapped on the chamber's door, a soft "Enter!" sounded from within. He reached for the brass handle, pausing for a moment, a deep sigh escaping his lips. The dreaded hour had arrived, a moment of action that tugged at his soul, compelling him to accept that some things, regrettably, were inescapable. Yet, he remained resolute, ready to see it through. With deliberate steps, he entered the room and found his gaze drawn to the auburn-haired young lady.

"Lynette," he addressed her with a tone betraying his deep sentiments.

She met his amber eyes, a touch of sorrow reflected in her grey-blue gaze.

"Arden," she replied.

A weighty silence enveloped them as if neither could quite find the words to break it. She is a vision of beauty, Arden pondered, an unattainable dream.

Lynette, on the other hand, considered, Despite all his imperfections, he's the finest man under the sun—surely destined to make the right woman happy.

"Are you certain—"

"It's time—"

Their words intermingled, and they exchanged smiles. Lynette's was encouraging, but a tinge of bitterness tainted Arden's.

"Will you do me the honour and become my wife?" Arden suddenly asked, his tone resolute. He was about to kneel when Lynette swiftly approached, placing her hand on his arm.

"Nay," she responded firmly, her voice quivering ever so slightly.

In that very instant, as if nudged by a sudden revelation, they were drawn into each other's arms. It was a warm embrace, filled with ardour, but also weighed down by melancholy, laden with unfulfilled desires and wishes that had manifested too belatedly - almost at the conclusion of their story. Tears, each as large as peas, coursed down Lynette's cheeks, mirroring Arden's own.

"Arden, I did love you, truly," she sobbed, "but now I've come to realize that you are not the man I require, and I am not the woman you need."

Upon hearing her heartfelt admission, Arden took a deep breath and shook his head in solemn disagreement.

"It pains me that you've chosen for us both, yet I shall honour your decision. However, remember, my love for you shall forever find a place within my heart, reserved solely for you."

They remained locked in each other's arms for a while. Meanwhile, a single trunk, containing all of Lynette's possessions, was discreetly carried away by a servant. Memories of their life together unfurled before Arden's eyes - Lynette's initial trepidation as she gazed at him like a startled bird in the Red Cat Inn, her bold and sometimes inappropriate remarks, the hours spent poring over ledgers, their first stolen kiss, and her eyes filled with passion and trust during their moments of intimacy, her aching body and teary eyes after he rescued her from Gareth's clutches. 

Arden would willingly have remained in that embrace for hours. Lynette had only recently warmed to him in the past few weeks. Before that, she could hardly look him in the eyes, let alone permit his touch. Suddenly, he felt her release her hold, prompting him to loosen his own.

"Mayhap you do not sense it in the present moment, yet I hold faith that in time, you shall come to comprehend that this was the prudent resolution."

At first, Arden cast his gaze to the ground and then back at Lynette.

"Give me your word, Lynette. Assure me that our correspondence shall endure. Swear to keep me apprised of your welfare, and in the event of misfortune, do not shy away from seeking my assistance. I shall forever be at your disposal."