39. Chapter (The Wrath And Torment Of Travis St. Arcey)

Bella's heart quickened its pace like a startled thoroughbred, while Lady Kendall's words echoed in her mind: Ensure that St. Arcey remains in sight at all times. 

She embarked on a circuit among the dancing guests, exchanging greetings here and there with those familiar from Travis' gathering. However, it appeared that the Marquess himself had disappeared. Even if he had gone to take relief, too much time had elapsed for his return. Therefore, Bella dared to do the unthinkable—slipping out of the grand ballroom just before the princess announced the next performer. She strolled down the corridor, her ears alert akin to a bat's, hoping to catch his voice behind some door. It might have been audacious, but she couldn't simply linger in the ballroom when her instincts hinted at something untoward.

"What are you doing here, Bella?"

His voice startled her.

"I'm searching for a room where we could converse without interruption, Christian," Bella hastily explained.

The captain assessed her with a glance and then tried the door immediately beside him. Finding it open, he entered the room, followed by Bella, and closed the door discreetly behind them. The immediate urge to embrace her and bestow kisses upon her was present, but she demurely stepped back, extending her hands in front of her.

"Christian, nay," she whispered.

He regarded her with a mixture of surprise and confusion.

"But why, Bella? Have I committed some transgression? Because, if my memory serves me right, you weren't so resistant to my advances before," the captain expressed, both surprised and concerned. He then sighed, "I was undeniably angered the last time we met, but I did not terminate our relationship. Instead, I was hoping we could engage in a discourse and set things right."

Bella shook her head.

"Regrettably, for me, our connection reached its end that very day, and since then, I haven't sought you out or responded to your letters."

Both stood before an imposing bed adorned with an opaque purple canopy. The lengths of the fabric gracefully cascaded to the floor, with both ends elegantly tied in a bow with a golden cord, concealing the bed from prying eyes and creating an intimate atmosphere for the pair now mere steps apart.

Christian shook his head incredulously."I thought... I thought you just had a bad day back then, Bella. I can't simply forget how you responded to me in our lovemaking, your sweet voice at the height of your pinnacle. Your welcoming embrace when I took your maidenhead... Did I perchance scare you off by insisting on our matrimony?"

Bella tensed at his words, as they brought back memories of Travis, who even in such intimate moments spent with this man, used to occupy her thoughts. 

The captain approached her and took her hands, as she didn't manage to evade his touch. "Bella, what's going on? Why are you refusing me?! It's driving me mad, thinking about you all the time. Tell me St. Arcey has something to do with it, and I'll deal with him—" 

"Christian," she interrupted him, "I don't harbour affections for you, you know that well. You don't love me either; we've established that on the day I allowed you to have me for the first time. It has always been a beneficial friendship between us, and nothing more." 

He fell silent immediately and nodded slowly."But I must have changed my mind, Bella," Christian said softly. "I miss you terribly, and I would do anything to make you mine for eternity. I was your first – we therefore should indeed consider matrimony!" 

"Forgive my audacity, Christian, but I truly feel nothing for you, and I can't support you in your efforts any longer," she said resolutely, shaking her head while trying to extricate herself.