51. Chapter (A Thousand Guineas For A Good Plan)

When the carriage came to a halt before the Merryweather residence, an older, finely attired lady with elegantly coiffed blond hair alighted. With a purposeful stride, she made her way toward the house. The butler promptly ushered her inside, announcing her arrival to the mistress of the house. In short order, Elinor extended her greetings in the drawing room.

"Welcome, dear Percy," she uttered, indicating the settee beside her, "pray, take a seat."

Percivaline seated herself and studied her companion closely.

"I have received an intriguing invitation," Percy began with deliberation, "yet, I harbour reservations about its veracity. I trust you'll pardon my scepticism, dear Elinor."

Elinor initially smiled, then retrieved a decanter from the escritoire nearby, pouring gin into a prepared glass before extending it to Percy.

"It is indeed factual, Percy. In a mere three days, Octavia will assume the title of Marchioness St. Arcey. Is it not a marvel?" Clinking her glass against Percy's, she took a hearty sip.

"That is... truly extraordinary," Percy conceded with a nod, "might you divulge the stratagem behind such an accomplishment? I recall the challenge of persuading Lord St. Arcey to two dances with our daughters in one evening, let alone securing his consent to a union!"

Elinor grinned with pride. "Well, my dear, I employed the weightiest of artillery. Ah, Lady Kendall, your kin, would not conceive of such a plan!" she exclaimed, leaning in closer. "I have his younger brother."

Percy's eyes widened in amazement. "Here, within these walls?!"

Elinor chuckled and gestured with her hand. "Oh, my dear, I shan't reveal more. One wouldn't wish you to spread such tales, and I require St. Arcey's signature on the nuptial parchment."

While she continued to wear a genteel smile, Percivaline delicately returned her glass to the table without partaking in the gin that Elinor had so generously offered.

"But come now, my dear companion, join in the revelry with me. Oh, I do remember," she feigned shock, "even your funds are entwined in this wager! Well, a more earnest endeavour might have served you better, though Rosalind has, in the end, secured a commendable match. A viscount is the most she could hope for."

Percy nodded and endeavoured not to betray the impact of Elinor's words. She responded, "I harboured such suspicions, and now I am convinced that you are capable of any stratagem, leading me to another realisation – you ignited St. Arcey's estate."

The countenance of the hostess diminished, and she replenished her glass with gin before responding, "Indeed, I confess. What measures shall you take, hmm? Shall you report me to the magistrate? If your intent is to inform St. Arcey, allow me to assuage your concerns – he is already apprised of the situation."

"What further actions shall you undertake to mar the life of that young man?!" Percivaline shook her head in astonishment, "Arson, abduction, extortion... Truly reprehensible!"

Elinor indulged in a burst of hearty laughter and elegantly consumed her drink. "And there is still more you do not know, my dear."

When Elinor observed the displeasure on her guest's countenance, she responded with an air of mystery, "Why not inquire of Lydia herself? I shall reveal only this much – we have sought retribution on your behalf as well."

"What does that signify?!" exclaimed Percy, rising abruptly. "Does it pertain in any manner to Robert?"

Elinor continued to grin at her in a repulsive manner. "Perhaps aye, perhaps nay. Lydia shall be able to elucidate further."