20. Chapter (A Witty Majordomo)

When Bella awoke from her sweet repose, she discerned that the soft glow of twilight was gracefully descending upon the landscape. Judging by her internal sense of time, it was likely the hour of dinner, or perhaps just thereafter. Swiftly, she rose from her slumber, composed her attire with care, and smoothed the tousled waves of her hair. In a short interval after Mr. Lafferty's departure, sleep had overtaken her, and she had drifted into a nap still clad in the garments she wore during the entirety of her journey. 

Presently, her yearning stomach urged her to seek both a warm repast and a soothing bath. With this in mind, she ventured forth to locate the kitchen. However, as she had not yet had the opportunity to explore the household, she relied on her keen sense of smell and attentive hearing.

Exiting onto the corridor and turning towards the east, she soon found herself traversing a lengthy passage. Intrigued and slightly puzzled, she continued until she passed ajar doors, where she halted, drawn by her innate curiosity. Her gaze fell upon Marquess St. Arcey, who was diligently engrossed in perusing various papers at a table opposite the door. Just as she contemplated resuming her quest for sustenance, his eyes met hers, and he straightened his posture.

"Miss Ward," he addressed her.

"My Lord," she replied, offering a respectful curtsey.

He had evidently been cautious from the very first day to ensure that no one from the staff mayhap except for Lafferty, overheard who Bella truly was, for which she could only be grateful. However, when he gestured for her to enter, she sighed inwardly and reluctantly stepped into his study, closing the door behind her. As soon as she did, the thought crossed her mind: I shouldn't be alone with him.

But it was already too late to retract her steps.

"I would like to talk to you about my brother."

She nodded, though she was hungry and expected him to offer her a chair. Instead, he stood and walked to the window, gazing into the distance. A silence settled between them, intensifying as the Marquess struggled to find words. 

Bella broke the silence first. "Marquess St. Arcey, I would like to offer you my sincere condolences on the passing of your mother."

This snapped him out of his contemplation, and Travis quickly turned to look in her direction, waving his hand dismissively.

"We can no longer assist the departed; our attention should be directed towards the living, specifically my brother Silas, the Earl of Darlington," he paused, sighing, "I'll be forthright with you—I share little to no connection with my young brother. I am not adept at interacting with children; it has never been my forte. This is why you find yourself here today—having grown up alongside siblings and having the chance to spend time with your sister Eliza's children."

Bella offered a wry smile. "Your observation is accurate—I did spend a considerable amount of time with my niece and nephew. However, I must caution you that I did not bear the primary responsibility for their upbringing. If you anticipate that I will wholly replace a formally trained governess, your expectations are rather misguided, much like your previous affections toward my sister Eliza."

As soon as she concluded her words, she found herself breathless, and a flush of crimson adorned her cheeks. The last sentence was intended to remain an unspoken sentiment!

Good heavens, mused Bella, he'll now believe I'm still harbouring resentment for his rejection. She attributed her feelings of bitterness to his peculiar conduct upon her arrival, his probing inquiries, and the audacity of summoning her here, not to mention the distressing pangs of hunger that had taken their toll.