26. Chapter (Lost And Found)

Historical Insight:

*Princess Augusta Frederica of Great Britain was born in 1737, she was the daughter of Prince Frederick, Prince of Wales, and Augusta of Saxe-Gotha. She married Charles William Ferdinand, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, in 1764. Our story applies creative liberty in the sense that while she is still unmarried in 1761, she considers herself too ill for childbearing and focuses on charity work.

*Lady Sarah Lennox was born in February 1745, which would make her 17 years old in our story. In 1762, she married Sir Thomas Charles Bunbury, 6th Baronet. Creative liberty was applied in the case of Lady Georgiana Fitzroy - she is her fictional cousin for the purpose of this story.

Travis regarded Lafferty with a mixture of disbelief, then shifted his gaze to the letter in the butler's hand and back to the majordomo

Travis regarded Lafferty with a mixture of disbelief, then shifted his gaze to the letter in the butler's hand and back to the majordomo."An evening gathering?! In my residence?!" 

The majordomo resolutely nodded. "Regrettably, you cannot evade it when it involves Her Royal Highness, Princess Augusta Frederica*. As the foremost noble in this locale, it is only fitting that she selected your abode." 

The Marquess scoffed in response. "Nothing is a foregone conclusion, Lafferty. Is Silverton Castle merely a spectacle for display and flaunting for the royal family?"

"Balls and soirées will assuredly transpire there, but this time, the princess specifically requested your domicile to foster a more relaxed ambience," Lafferty responded composedly. 

Travis rolled his eyes with vexation, interpreting it as another jest from fate that someone always found a way to exert influence over his life with their directives, affairs, or inclinations. If the rumours were accurate about the princess being accompanied by Lady Georgiana Fitzroy, a cousin to Lady Sarah Lennox* in society, it all hinted at trouble.

The last time Travis underwent an audience with the now demised King George II, he succumbed to Georgiana's allure. He wasn't proud of it, nor did he lament it. However, what he truly lamented was the entire situation with Miranda Gilchrist, who would now have to be invited to this gathering owing to Charles' standing as a recognised and influential banker. 

Cursing inwardly, a pained expression crossed his countenance. At this soirée, I will ascertain if she is with child, he ruminated. 

"Is there something amiss, My Lord?" inquired the concerned majordomo.

Travis nodded with a sigh. "Attend to the invitations, orders, and whatever else is required, Lafferty. I confess, that organizing such an affair is beyond my expertise, and I find myself clueless about the necessary steps. All we can do is hope this spectacle concludes without any untoward consequences."

Lafferty offered an encouraging smile. "Worry not, My Lord, you shan't be disappointed."

The majordomo sensed, right down to the tips of his fingers, that the upcoming evening promised to be quite captivating, particularly laden with events. It had been many days since Travis last engaged in conversation with his governess, and the astute Lafferty suspected that something significant had transpired between them, prompting both to maintain a cautious distance. A soirée of such grandeur could either mend their relationship or further complicate matters...