47. Chapter (Feeling Guilty)

When Lafferty found himself back in Reading after so many months, he couldn't help but sigh at the sudden wave of nostalgia that washed over him shortly after entering the house. The atmosphere was so silent, an eerie stillness that didn't align with his recollections—once, this place used to be rather lively, especially after Lord Evan Kendall moved in with some of his servants from his residence in London. However, with him came great quarrels, often concluding with broken items that the newly appointed Countess was accustomed to hurling at the Earl.

I despise you, you old hag! You and your child— you've ruined my life!

That child is yours too, you scoundrel! Depart! Begone!

There was no doubt that the Earl adhered to his wife's commands and always vanished at his earliest convenience, returning the next morning or even after a few days, always in an inebriated state. Many times, Lafferty suspected that not only spirits flowed through his veins but also other substances. Lady Kendall kept frequent visits to the house in order to inquire about Corinne's condition and to ensure that the Countess hadn't resumed drinking for some reason. She cared about Corinne's child, whom she referred to as her grandchild ever since she was apprised of its conception, but she was not particularly concerned about her nephew, as long as he refrained from mistreating his wife.

My greatest apprehension, Lafferty, lies in the fear that the child may be born impaired or stillborn, an occurrence not entirely surprising given the circumstances of those two who sired it. Should such a fate befall, neither of them will be essential to my existence henceforth.

As Lady Kendall's words faded in Lafferty's ears, the majordomo shook his head with a sigh – the elder dame didn't need to as much as lift her finger to witness the demise of those two souls; it was the unforgiving nature of their existence that ultimately sealed their fate.

Though tasked with locating the accursed ring, the enormity of the estate left Lafferty uncertain where to commence. He resolved to begin his search by visiting the bedchamber of the departed Countess Darlington first. Gingerly, he began examining the small stands adjacent to her bed, moving methodically to wardrobes, cabinets, and other potential hiding places for the elusive piece of jewellery.

Exert every ounce of strength, my lady, else your progeny meets an untimely demise, and you with it.

His gaze turned towards the bed, momentarily recalling the image of Corinne in the throes of agony and tears as she brought forth Silas—somehow desiring Lafferty's presence in the chamber. Despite it being her second child, the childbirth was arduous and draining, and the Countess never fully recovered afterwards. Stepping closer to the bed, Lafferty sought every conceivable nook, discovering only a handful of paper fragments bearing Corinne's brief verses. Placing them delicately within a compartment of a nightstand, he resolved to venture next into the study for further investigation.

As he strolled past the chamber once occupied by Silas, he observed that the door stood slightly ajar – apparently, an oversight by one of the servants who neglected to secure it after airing out the house. Lafferty touched the handle, contemplating a vision of Corinne and Evan positioned by Silas' cradle. While Corinne beamed proudly at her son, Darlington gazed out of the window at the serene countryside.

But he is indeed splendid, our son. The most exquisite child in the world.

You likely uttered the same sentiments about Travis when he was a babe.

Every child is deemed the loveliest in the world, so why not cast your eyes upon him, why not cradle him to your chest, Evan? What manner of father are you?!

He's merely a tender infant, and in his innocence, he shan't recall whether I cradled him or observed him.

The Earl then took a sip from a flask he habitually carried and exited the room. Lafferty closed the door, tucking away the memory in the recesses of his mind. He briskly traversed into the study, where he replicated the procedure as in the chamber. Given the abundance of furniture, the process consumed a more considerable duration. He even scrutinised beneath the carpet, exploring the possibility of discovering a concealed compartment. However, in vain, he failed to locate the ring or any other item, so he seated himself at the table and sighed in frustration.