18. Chapter (A Governess For Teddy)

The initial governess, Miss Clark, persevered in Marlborough for a mere fortnight. Enduring Teddy's persistent escape from lessons and his wailing when she barred the door to prevent his mischief, she managed to cope. Even when he carelessly spilt horse urine on a chair upon which she later unknowingly sat, she endured without complaint. Nevertheless, after a particularly trying day, when he bolted away from her in the courtyard, causing her to slip and break her leg, she quietly instructed her belongings to be packed and departed without uttering a single word.

The second governess, Mrs. Harris, endured Teddy's behaviour for precisely eight days. Having raised a trio of her own children, she attempted to apply her methods to him, which included physical chastisement. For this purpose, she used a small, thin wooden paddle, with which she once gave Teddy a firm spanking on his backside and hands when he attempted to kick her. It momentarily subdued him, and he became as meek as a lamb, but when Mrs. Harris dropped her spectacles on the carpet one day and had to search for them on all fours, she suddenly saw her paddle appearing before her eyes. Without a second thought, young Teddy administered a sound tap on her forehead with it, causing her vision to dim momentarily. When Travis learned of this incident, he promptly dismissed the governess without hesitation. He knew that although the boy's behaviour may have warranted some correction, he had already faced enough difficult trials in his short life, and Travis had no intention of subjecting him to any further physical chastisement.

The third governess, Miss Martin, presented herself as a woman of great capability, boasting of her rich experience in handling children like young Teddy. However, by the fourth day, she had her trunk packed and announced her decision to depart for Gretna Green with one of the footmen from a neighbouring estate. Not hesitating to make her sentiments known to Travis, she declared that she would rather bear and raise five of her own children than deal with the likes of Silas Kendall.

Travis, in the meantime, applied himself to his primary strengths – aiding his people in necessary repairs, offering guidance and counsel to the lumberjacks, overseeing livestock inspections, and diligently negotiating the most advantageous prices for commodities and all essential replacements. Although he delegated certain responsibilities to Lafferty and the more seasoned members of the household staff, some occasions demanded his presence also in Reading and London. Departing after his duties early in the morning and returning long after dusk, he managed only a brief luncheon, during which Silas wasn't always in attendance, opting to dine in his nursery instead. Even when the lad did join Travis, his presence was marked by reticence, uttering scarce words. However, the Marquess acutely sensed the ever-watchful eyes of young Darlington upon him, leading him to anticipate that, perchance, the little gentleman might one day develop a favourable regard for him. Yet that day appeared distant on the horizon, a time to be realized.

The Marquess bore an immense weight of guilt, both for neglecting the boy's attention and for allowing his paramour to ensnare him in such a vile manner and likely become with his child. When it wasn't the pang of guilt, it was a simmering anger, provoked by the incessant interferences in his life, orchestrated by others, and at times, even from beyond the grave. Post-work, he often found himself exhausted, for sleep was a luxury he seldom indulged in. 

Then the fact that no governess could endure their household for more than half of a month did little to improve his overall stamina or mood. As summer approached, he realized there was much to arrange to ensure both his personal well-being and the prosperity of his entire Marlborough estate for the upcoming season. Travis reassured himself that once he had addressed the most pressing matters, he could then devote himself properly to Teddy, fulfilling the duties of a caring brother.

He intended to take him for a ride on horseback, through the woods; he aimed to introduce him to his late father's hunting lodge... there were numerous pursuits he envisaged for them. However, he also recognized that his younger brother was a rather unruly and unmanageable creature in the care of strangers. Travis acknowledged that the lad would likely display the same behaviour even in his own presence if he did not command the respect reserved for a much older gentleman.