12. Chapter (New Possibilities On The Horizon)

Solicitor Oscar Suthersby found himself both astounded and disconcerted upon learning the details of Mr. Reginald Sullivan's departure from this world. Nevertheless, Rose withheld certain particulars, sharing only what was necessary to manage the legal formalities for transferring the estate to her younger son, Felix Gray, the newly minted Earl of Sullivan. With this matter resolved, Oscar's thoughts were free to turn to the captivating Lady Aileen Price, a young woman whose fiery spirit had captured his attention. Their time together, though brief, had left a lasting impression on him. However, he grappled with the societal chasm that separated them, wondering how to bridge the divide.

As Oscar pondered this, his landlady, Mrs. Smith, persisted with her ongoing commentary about his lack of a wife:

"So young and handsome, and yet without a wife, Mr. Suthersby. You risk letting the prime of your life slip through your fingers and ending up in solitude."

Oscar sighed and responded with a hint of sarcasm, "Don't they say that men enjoy the prime of life throughout their entire existence?"

Mrs. Smith let out a disapproving snort. "That's the talk of your ilk, only to stroke your own ego, nothing more."

She continued with her grumbling, but Oscar no longer paid her any attention. Instead, he focused on a small piece of paper resting on the table before him. It was an invitation to Covent Garden to see the Smith brothers' quartet, a promise he had made to Lady Price in Hertford, conveyed through his dear friend, Lord Waterford. When Oscar had shared this idea with his lordship, the latter had simply raised an eyebrow and chuckled heartily.

"Oscar, my dear friend! It wasn't so long ago that you were mourning the heart you left behind in Virginia. It appears you've managed to grow a new one it in the interim!"

Oscar smiled and replied, "I must admit I'm surprised as well, my friend, truly! Yet Lady Aileen Price is indeed a captivating and accomplished lady."

And somewhat audacious too, Oscar added inwardly. Lord Waterford nodded thoughtfully.

"You see, if you were interested in a baron's or viscount's daughter, the path would be less thorny. But a duke's? You're aiming quite high, Oscar, especially after one of your kin married the Duke of Hertfordshire. It's not by any means an ancient history; society still remembers it quite well," he remarked sagely. Nevertheless, he reached for a quill, inkwell, and parchment on the table. "But there's nothing suspicious nor unwelcome about a simple invitation to Covent Garden, is there?" he conspiratorially winked at the solicitor and swiftly penned the invitation.

Oscar smiled at the memory of the conversation with Lord Waterford and held the small invitation in his hand. After all, there was nothing unusual about an invitation to the opera box, especially with Waterford's name on it.

"I hope you're going to meet your mistress," Mrs. Smith muttered as she saw the young man standing up and departing through the door. Instead of a response, Oscar only grinned.

He handed the invitation to a messenger found in the street along a good coin, and when the November day arrived, Covent Garden was about to be filled with the sounds of a famous quartet. Oscar found himself alone in the opera box a moment before the performance began. Just before the curtains were drawn, the door to the box opened, and Lord Waterford took a seat in the cushioned chair next to Oscar. The expression on his countenance whispered of ill tidings.

"I do apologize, Oscar, but a mere few days prior to the performance, I received correspondence from the Duchess of Hertfordshire, apprising me that, regrettably, unforeseen exigencies prevent her and Lady Aileen from gracing this concert with their presence."

Oscar concurred with a nod and exchanged a few words with his companion before the latter made his way back to his wife in his private box. Shortly thereafter, the resonant tone of a gong signified the commencement of the musical presentation. The harmonies of the orchestra filled the hall, led by musicians who were nothing less than splendid. Their Parisian coiffures, coupled with the robust baritones that resonated throughout, delighted the audience. The repertoire encompassed songs that conveyed both sorrow and jubilation, themes of love and animosity, which, when woven together, depicted the nuances of an entire year.