28. Chapter (Two Rivals)

The following morn found Bella coaxing herself out of the embrace of Morpheus, out of her comfortable bed. Fatigue marked her countenance with dark shadows beneath her eyes. A slight throbbing persisted in her head, compelling her to remedy it with a bracing splash and gulp of cold water from the basin nearby. The revelry of the previous night seemed to have successfully banished all her cares to the depths of her glass and into the whirl of the dance.

She could arrange for some time or even the whole day away, indeed, but it would entail seeking his lordship's favour... requiring her to gaze into his treacherous countenance and mayhap even beseech... a prospect he would likely relish with his distinctive charm, and offering Travis any satisfaction or distraction was the last thing Bella desired, especially after learning all those disheartening notions about him.

Young Teddy, a handful as ever, was delivered into her care by Bethany after morning repast, for Travis still indulged in slumber. The lad, it appeared, had chosen this particular day to put Bella's nerves to the test. A cacophony of shrill cries and joyful yelps emanated from their game, resonating through the chamber and inflicting upon her a most unpleasant headache.

Attempts to instil in him the mysteries of letters from an illustrated tome were met with little success, as the lad could not sit still and growled akin to a bear cub when she made faint threats. In the end, she was compelled to grant him a measure of liberty, as she paced the study, ensuring her wakefulness and beseeching Providence for the hastening of the luncheon hour.

Yet, as her back momentarily faced the lad, Teddy seized the opportunity, traversing stealthily to the door. With a creak of hinges, he vanished into the corridor before Bella could thwart his escape.

"Teddy!" she called, pursuing him with an almost inhuman effort considering her current hindrance in condition. However, he moved like an arrow being released from a bow, his laughter mingling with a roar that reverberated through the entire house. He burst into one of the chambers, abruptly stopping and nearly colliding with Bella. As she searched for the reason behind his sudden halt, her gaze fell upon three individuals—Charles Gilchrist standing by a grand piano, Miranda Gilchrist seated on a sofa, and Travis St. Arcey bent over some papers lying on a table, glaring at her as if she had interrupted a very serious conversation.

"I-I apologize, sir," Bella stammered, her cheeks turning crimson.

"Are you off to somewhere, Miss Ward?" Travis inquired, his tone laced with animosity. 

His voice caught her off guard, but she swallowed hard and quickly responded, "Aye, for a stroll. Lord Darlington is in need of fresh air." 

Bella tried to sound sincere, although her answer raised an eyebrow from Mr. Gilchrist. The young Earl was once again hiding behind Bella's skirt to escape embarrassment, as he was not accustomed to meetings with strangers. Travis eventually nodded for them to leave and returned his attention to the papers, while Miranda suddenly exclaimed, "I would also like to take a stroll if you don't mind, gentlemen—finances are not my area of expertise. Well, unless Miss Ward has an issue with my proposal."

Surprised and fatigued, Bella found herself capable only of a subtle nod in agreement. Travis, momentarily wearing a frown, chose silence. Soon after, the two ladies and the young lad made their way to the courtyard.

"What splendid weather we have today," Miranda exclaimed with a cheerful demeanour.

"Mhm," was Bella's restrained response, as an unsettling sensation in her stomach persisted, akin to turning itself inside out, threatening to linger indefinitely.

"Did you find enjoyment in last night's festivities, Miss Ward?" Miranda inquired without bothering to make eye contact.

"Aye, quite so," replied Bella softly. In truth, she had relished her time with Captain Hayes as much as during their initial encounter, albeit this time adorned with unexpected, yet fairly pleasurable bonuses.