17. Chapter (Poor And Yet More Lamentable Choices)

Travis savoured the company and body of his youthful paramour, observing as she gripped the bedcovers tightly, stifling her sighs against a pillow. In the throes of blissful contortions, she wriggled with pleasure, and as she eased into tranquillity, she reclined on her back with a bewitching smile adorning her face. Biting her lip, she trailed her feet along his thighs as he, too, reached his culmination, and the warm tendrils of his essence cascaded onto her loins. Subsequently, he reclined beside her, exhaling blissfully. After a protracted moment, she nestled close to him, her hand caressing the fine hairs on his chest, a serene smile gracing her countenance.

"I longed for your presence," she uttered softly, placing a kiss on a small, beardless spot on his cheek. "You've never been absent from Marlborough for such an extended duration."

"I would not have departed if it were not imperative," he intoned solemnly.

She nodded, privy to the town's murmurs – the passing of his mother and the trials besieging his estate anew.

"Rest assured, I shall always stand by your side," she reassured, placing her palm on his bristled cheek. "Or recline, as per my master's wishes," she chuckled softly, a touch of flirtation in her voice.

"Miranda, I..." Travis began, yet left his sentence unfinished.

How could he delicately impart the news that he might never again seek her company? Travis sought the welcoming warmth of her body once per week, but in light of the shifting circumstances brought about by pressing matters, he deemed it prudent to conclude their intimate association. This decision was made to divert his complete attention toward the task of mending the precarious state of his business, which hung in the balance. Moreover, he was keenly aware of his complete inadequacy when it came to his brother, whom he found himself obligated to nurture as a paternal figure, despite being perhaps the most unsuitable candidate around. Nevertheless, Travis was determined to undertake this challenge, striving for own betterment and aiming to raise a young man who would bear no resemblance to his father; at the very least the lad would not follow Evan's footsteps.

Initially, he had intended to convey the tidings as soon as he stepped into Gilchrist's residence, but the allure of her tempting presence and his own desires led them into an embrace, and soon physically entwined, now lying beside each other.

"You appeared quite altered today," observed Miranda, as if intuiting something.

Travis sighed and gazed into her eyes.

"I find myself burdened with much. Managing a young child is a challenge unknown to me as a solitary offspring. And the fire, the devastation if you could witness it all..."

The situation was far direr than the last instance – the anticipated cost of restoration and compensating for the charred damages, as per his initial assessments, was at least triple that of years prior. Summoning courage, he spoke:

"I shall remain eternally indebted for your benevolence, but as you well know, our liaison has weathered its time. You are wedded, and I must forge ahead in light of new circumstances."

Miranda sat upright on the bed abruptly.

"It's intriguing that for well over two years, my circumstances didn't perturb you – confess, there is another woman in the equation," she retorted, visibly offended.

He anticipated such a reaction, yet no more judicious commentary occurred to him than:

"There is no other woman; only an overwhelming sea of obligations. And even if there were another woman, it would be beyond your purview."

Miranda regarded his expression with a momentary disdain; his words undoubtedly cast a shadow over her day, mayhap week. The prospect of a Marquess eluding her grasp was an outcome she had never entertained.