38. Chapter (The Circus Of Jealousy)

Bella, observing the unfolding event, glanced discreetly at Travis, who, at that moment, directed his gaze toward Captain Hayes. Marquess, keenly aware of the exchanged glances between Bella and her former paramour, composed his countenance, suppressing the surge of jealousy that threatened to overwhelm him. 

One gaze, he reminded himself, does not signify much—or does it? Still, the sharp pang of jealousy persisted, despite the recent developments between him and Bella.

Before Bella could address Travis, Mr. and Mrs. Gilchrist approached, and Lady Kendall skillfully withdrew to join her own social circle.

"An intriguing evening, isn't it, St. Arcey?" Charles Gilchrist greeted Travis, casting a quick glance at Bella.

"Indeed," Travis responded, gracefully gesturing toward Bella. "With your permission, Charles, allow me to present Miss Ward, the governess of my brother."

Charles gently pressed his lips to her hand, and in turn, Travis presented her to Miranda. With a graceful curtsy, they acknowledged the introduction, despite the fact that the couple had already become aware of her during their visit to Marquess' abode. Miranda had even joined Bella on a somewhat unwelcome stroll, during which she insinuated that the child in her expectancy was sired by Travis.

Bella's attention shifted to Miranda's gently rounding belly, a telling sign of impending motherhood. Although the swell was not overly pronounced, courtesy of Miranda's inherent slender frame, a twinge of sorrow pricked at Bella's heart.

A fleeting thought crossed her mind: Perhaps fate does not deem me worthy of bearing a child. Yet, she swiftly suppressed the emotions rising in her throat. Travis, in his moments of culmination, always withdrew before completing the act, steering clear of fatherhood and matrimony. It was a reality Bella had accepted, though she sought to bury it in the recesses of her mind, as it occasionally prickled her senses.

After all, hadn't she made similar decisions herself? Why, then, did a sudden wave of regret wash over her?

"I've heard murmurs that the fortunes on your estate are taking a turn for the better," Charles remarked after the initial pleasantries. "I trust the loan I facilitated for you will expedite your recovery."

At this remark, Bella cast a quick glance toward Travis, whose expression hinted that they would discuss the matter later. Nevertheless, the moment was lost—her anger had reached a boiling point in an instant. She feigned a smile and excused herself, "Forgive me, but I spot an old acquaintance whom I wish to greet," offering the first excuse that came to mind.

She swiftly turned on her heel and approached her intended acquaintance. As Bella walked, she savoured the last sip of wine and placed the empty glass on the tray held by a servant who appeared at just the right time. She paused only when she reached the person who had already noticed her and raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"Lady Kendall," Bella addressed her.

"Miss Ward," the composed old matron responded, "I leave you with the Marquess for a brief moment and you return looking pale akin to a soured milk. Is there some matter troubling your soul?"

When Bella didn't reply, Lady Kendall added with a sly smile, "Well, well, well... it seems your association with St. Arcey isn't unfolding as anticipated. I cannot express astonishment at such a conclusion, as it was to be expected. Come, let's take a turn."

She linked her arm through Bella's and guided her away from curious ears.

"How can you be so certain about that?" Bella inquired in a hushed tone, attempting to soothe her tumultuous feelings.

Bewitching The Recluse [BOOK 2 of Price Family Saga]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara