25. Chapter (A Ride On The Bullet)

Bethany entered the study three afternoons later, now carrying a tailor's measuring tape. It was immediately apparent to Bella that this was in relation to the young lord's wardrobe. Teddy, however, was far from thrilled, unable to remain still and considering the measuring process an utterly intolerable affair. Not surprisingly, it didn't pass without his vocal expressions and fidgeting, just moments before Bella could measure his lengths or circumferences. When they finally completed the measurements, both ladies were so fatigued that their steps scarcely carried them to the dinner table, while Teddy flitted around them like an eager bird. Accompanying the lad to his nursery, Bella noticed Bethany arriving shortly after with a tray of sustenance for the young Earl.

"Lord Kendall isn't dining with Marquess St. Arcey?" Bella inquired, her surprise evident, as she had believed otherwise until now.

Bethany shook her head and without paying her even a glimpse, she responded: "The lad harbours a great fear of him, and the Marquess' inquiries have been known to bring him to tears," the young maid explained in hushed tones, ensuring Teddy wouldn't overhear. "For the sake of his and lad's peace of mind, the Marquess allowed that the young Earl shall take his meals in his nursery."

Another aspect that we'll have to consider changing, Bella pondered. Yet, at that moment, she hesitated, dreading another encounter with Travis, who seemed to derive pleasure from stirring up all her... sentiments? Certainly not!

Two days later, the Marquess entered the study carrying something in his hands. "Lord Silas, Miss Ward," he addressed them, receiving a correction from the boy, "Teddy, Isabella. It's just the three of us here." 

Travis cleared his throat, and his gaze fell on Bella. "Teddy and Isabella."

Something in the way he pronounced her name made her tilt her head. It struck her as peculiar that he yielded on a matter of decorum, but the way he uttered her name only reinforced Bella's belief that he had found yet another means to vex her.

"I've brought the things you asked for, Isabella."

She drew a composed breath before meeting his gaze once more. In his grasp, he held three miniature lead soldiers in one hand and about four slender volumes in the other. Seating himself on the floor with the pair, he extended the tiny soldiers towards Teddy.

"There you have it, three sturdy soldiers. Your regiment now stands at a total of six, Teddy."

"So, with these, each of us shall command two soldiers in our battles!" exclaimed Teddy enthusiastically, examining his new recruits for his private army.

"Quite right," concurred Travis. "Hence, the set of three. Now, young sir, ponder upon names for your newfound companions," he added, turning towards Bella as he handed her the books. "Those are likely intended for you first, Isabella."

With trepidation, she accepted the books into her hands, anticipating that he might, in his usual manner, hesitate to release them. To her surprise, however, he relinquished his grip promptly.

Thank you, she hinted with her lips, unable to say a word as a feeling of gratitude and tenderness for the boy overwhelmed her. She gazed at Travis, and he suddenly felt a prick at his heart, as if his barrier had loosened ever so slightly. Swiftly, he stood up and declared,

"And that's not all—since we have a splendid day outside, I propose we go for a horse ride."

"Aye! Horses!" Teddy shouted enthusiastically, sealing their plans for today.

Bella also stood up and replied, "May you both have an enjoyable ride, My Lordships... and do look after the young lad, Travis."

Mentioning his name stirred an uneasiness within her as if she had caught a glimpse of him in an immodest state. She rather feigned interest in perusing the children's books Travis had brought with him.