Chapter 33: Misunderstanding

This is swell, just absolutely swell!
We're at dead ends, literally NO PLACE TO GO. Stuck in an alley way, awaiting our deaths. Two oncoming cars (Buiks it seems) heading right at us, almost top speed, and even though this strange alley is a couple miles long, it doesn't even matter, no fire escapes, not dumpsters, no foot holds, just flat ground and pretty soon, our eminent death.

"Over here.. Now!"

I turned back to see Beauregard pointing toward a manhole that was crossed between the building wall and the street, painted in a brick pattern, it was easily mistaken for terrible masonry, no wonder we couldn't find a way out. We struggled our way through the ugly hole and into the worse part of the city... The sewer.
It stunk as you had imagined, the smell of piss and vinegar never smelt so disdaining. I've never, in a trillion years thought I'd say this, but I love this place right now.
We got out miles down the line. On the other side of town, we made home in an old, abandoned gas station. Still almost completely stocked full of stuff, just run-down and dusty. I looked around and found a'couple of..... much needed personals. I snagged a newer and bigger backpack while I was at it. We couldn't light a fire inside, or else it could've ran the risk of our cover being blown, but it was pretty snug and warm in here already, I reckon. Clair went and snatched some food from wherever.

The restroom reeked in putridity, with a foul, rank liquescent breeze in the feel of the air. Clair went to the restroom and after while.... She screamed. I ran to her with fear in my heart. Funny how a person that tries to kill you can form such an emotional attachment within your heart, ha..

"What!? What's wrong Clair?"

"Oh my God... I slipped in the toilet! Uugghh!"

I laughed almost as nearly as hard as I'd ever in my life, it was wrong, I know... But it was amusing. As you can imagine, I giggled as she came back from her little accident, she was pissed, yet cheerful.
We ate freezer burn HotPockets and refried beans, not as good as we thought, but satisfactory... I guess.

We nodded off during the night. We awoke to noise, the sound of shifting, and a weird, eerie feeling, like eyes scraping the landscape of our necks. Without delay, we grabbed our weapsons. An indefinite "No no".